Cylinder head and Cylinder block

• Thread starter ruzfactor
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

can some one please refer me operating conditions for cylinder head and block of diesel and gasoline engines. I have searched through google but couldn't find any definite info on that. I need numerical values of temperature, pressure that head and block must withstand.

Answers and Replies

Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
welcome..
you ask two things
operating conditions for gas IC and diesel engine
then you asked for worst case conditions...
may i ask..what is purpose of your post?

Actually I'm writing a case study report on cylinder block and head materials development. I need to provide a brief background such as operating environment, mechanical loading and failure modes of cylinder block and head. I have done my research on materials but I couldn't find any specific data or range of data on these background topics. I really need help here.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What sort of engines?

Cylinder wall and flame face temperatures might be a few hundred Celsius. Peak cylinder pressure might be between 80 - 200 bar. It completely depends on the type of engine, application, operating conditions etc.

both for 4stroke gasoline engine and diesel engine cars. I really need to define operation environments that cylinder block and cylinder head normally experience.

brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well 'normal' falls within the bands I outlined.

I know that a 350 cid engine that is making about 530 hp and 500 lb.ft of torque (injected alcohol Sprint car) using a block that has a cylinder wall with a casting flaw that reduces the thickness to about 0.090" will survive about two hours on the dyno before splitting ...

what type of mechanical loadings engine blocks experience? Please explain.