What are the dimensions of angular acceleration divided by radius?

In summary: The mass doesn't know anything about the cylinder. It only responds to the forces directly applied to it, the tension and gravity.
nerdeagle24

Hey guys, so I am a little stumped on this problem. Can y'all help?

I think for a) it is true but am not sure
For b) I believe is is false because the angular acceleration would cause the angular speed to increase
For c) I think it is true since acceleration is constant so T=ma is constant
Does that sound right?

For part D, I know these equations but am not sure:
Sum of forces=mv^2/r=m*omega^2*r

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nerdeagle24 said:
I think for a) it is true but am not sure
For b) I believe is is false because the angular acceleration would cause the angular speed to increase
For c) I think it is true since acceleration is constant so T=ma is constant
Does that sound right?
Your answers are correct, though I don't know what you mean by "T=ma".

nerdeagle24 said:
For part D, I know these equations but am not sure:
Sum of forces=mv^2/r=m*omega^2*r
Those equations describe circular motion and centripetal acceleration. You won't need them here.

Instead, analyze the forces on the cylinder (and the torque they produce) and apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation. Also analyze the forces acting on the hanging mass and apply Newton's 2nd law to it. That, with a bit of work, will allow you to calculate the acceleration of both the cylinder and the hanging mass. (Note: The angular acceleration of the cylinder and the linear acceleration of the mass are related.)

Doc Al said:
Your answers are correct, though I don't know what you mean by "T=ma".

So how do we know c is true? I was trying to say the force in the rope = ma and since a is constant, then F, or tension, must be constant. Is that right?

Also, how do we know part a is true?

Doc Al said:
Those equations describe circular motion and centripetal acceleration. You won't need them here.

Instead, analyze the forces on the cylinder (and the torque they produce) and apply Newton's 2nd law for rotation. Also analyze the forces acting on the hanging mass and apply Newton's 2nd law to it. That, with a bit of work, will allow you to calculate the acceleration of both the cylinder and the hanging mass. (Note: The angular acceleration of the cylinder and the linear acceleration of the mass are related.)

I think only one force is being applied on the cylinder, right? The force from the rope? And the force in the rope is mg. So does that mean the angular acceleration is equal to g/r. We can then use angular kinetics equations to find the angular velocity?

nerdeagle24 said:
the force in the rope = ma
Where m is the suspended mass and a its acceleration? No. The sum of all the forces is ma.
nerdeagle24 said:
only one force is being applied on the cylinder, right? The force from the rope?
Yes, but consider torque.
nerdeagle24 said:
And the force in the rope is mg.
It is that before the brake is released, but not afterwards. This will become clear when you get the ΣF=ma equation right for the suspended mass.

haruspex said:
Where m is the suspended mass and a its acceleration? No. The sum of all the forces is ma.

Yes, but consider torque.

It is that before the brake is released, but not afterwards. This will become clear when you get the ΣF=ma equation right for the suspended mass.

Ok. Thank you for your help. So the torque applied on the cylinder is f*r, where f is the force applied by the rope. I am not sure how to relate torque to sum(F)=ma.

Edit: would I need to use the moment of inertia?
Edit 2: would you have mass of spherical mass*g*R=.5*mass of cylinder*R^2*angular acceleration?
And then you can take that and have angular speed=angular acceleration*time? and then angular speed*r =velocity?

Last edited:
nerdeagle24 said:
the torque applied on the cylinder is f*r, where f is the force applied by the rope.
Yes.
nerdeagle24 said:
how to relate torque to sum(F)=ma.
Forget the cylinder for the moment and fix on the suspended mass. Write the equation for its resulting acceleration.

haruspex said:
Yes.

Forget the cylinder for the moment and fix on the suspended mass. Write the equation for its resulting acceleration.
Is it tension in rope/mass of spherical mass?

nerdeagle24 said:
Is it tension in rope/mass of spherical mass?
No.
What are the forces acting on the mass?

haruspex said:
No.
What are the forces acting on the mass?
Gravity, the tension in the rope? And the cylinder spinning?

nerdeagle24 said:
Gravity, the tension in the rope? And the cylinder spinning?
The mass doesn't know anything about the cylinder. It only responds to the forces directly applied to it, the tension and gravity.
So what is the sum of the vertical forces on it, and how does that relate to the acceleration?

haruspex said:
The mass doesn't know anything about the cylinder. It only responds to the forces directly applied to it, the tension and gravity.
So what is the sum of the vertical forces on it, and how does that relate to the acceleration?
-mg+tension=ma

So a=(T-mg)/m

nerdeagle24 said:
mg+tension=ma
Right, but they act on opposite directions, of course.

Now consider the cylinder. For this you need the rotational analogue, i.e. that the net torque is the moment of inertia multiplied by the angular acceleration: Στ=Iα.

haruspex said:

Now consider the cylinder. For this you need the rotational analogue, i.e. that the net torque is the moment of inertia multiplied by the angular acceleration: Στ=Iα.
haruspex said:

Ya. I mistyped that. I made an edit hahaha.

so we get tension*R=I*angular frequency?

nerdeagle24 said:
-mg+tension=ma

So a=(T-mg)/m
Careful with signs. Which way are you taking as positive for a, up or down?

haruspex said:
Careful with signs. Which way are you taking as positive for a, up or down?
I am saying up is positive a

nerdeagle24 said:
tension*R=I*angular frequency
Angular acceleration, not angular velocity.

nerdeagle24 said:
I am saying up is positive a
Ok

haruspex said:
Angular acceleration, not angular velocity.
So we have two equations but three unknowns (angular acceleration, tension, acceleration of mass)? What else should I look at?

nerdeagle24 said:
So we have two equations but three unknowns (angular acceleration, tension, acceleration of mass)? What else should I look at?
The angular and linear accelerations are directly related.

haruspex said:
Oh ya. So angular acceleration=a/R.

So we can find angular acceleration and then use angular acceleration * t = angular speed?

haruspex said:
I ended up with angular acceleration = (mass cylinder*R/2*mass weight+g)/R

Is that right?

nerdeagle24 said:
angular acceleration = (mass cylinder*R/2*mass weight+g)/R
That makes no sense dimensionally. Please post your working.

haruspex said:
I realized I made a mistake:

So my equations are:
angular acceleration = a/r
.5MR^2=T*R
mg-T=ma where a is defined as down

So we get from the third equation:
T=m(g-a)
and the second equation:
T=.5MR

Set these equal to each other and solve for a:
a = g-(MR/2m) where big M is mass of cylinder, little m is mass of sphere
So then angular acceleration = (g-(MR/2m))/R
plugging in numbers we get 14.87 rads/sec^2

So angular speed = 14.87*t=14.87*3=44.61 rads/s

This doesn't feel right as that is a really high speed

haruspex said:
I see another mistake. I am sorry.

So my equations are:
angular acceleration = a/r
.5MR^2*angular acceleration=T*R
mg-T=ma where a is defined as down

T = m(g-(angular acceleration/R))

Plug in second equation and solve for angular acceleration = (.5MR+(m/R))/mg

nerdeagle24 said:
T = m(g-(angular acceleration/R))
You need to learn to check dimensionality. What would be the dimensions of angular acceleration/R?

1. What is a cylinder with weight attached?

A cylinder with weight attached is a type of object used in physics experiments and simulations. It consists of a cylindrical shape with a weight attached to one end, typically at the bottom. The weight provides a force that can be used to study the effects of gravity and other forces on the motion of the cylinder.

2. How is a cylinder with weight attached used in experiments?

A cylinder with weight attached can be used in various experiments to study the effects of gravity, friction, and other forces on the motion of objects. It can also be used to demonstrate concepts such as inertia, centripetal force, and conservation of energy.

3. What are the main components of a cylinder with weight attached?

The main components of a cylinder with weight attached are the cylinder itself, which is typically made of a lightweight material such as plastic or aluminum, and the weight attached to one end of the cylinder. The weight can vary in size and material, but it is usually made of a dense material such as lead or steel.

4. How is the weight attached to the cylinder?

The weight is typically attached to the cylinder using a hook or clamp at the bottom of the cylinder. The weight may also be secured with a screw or adhesive, depending on the design of the cylinder. It is important for the weight to be securely attached to ensure accurate and consistent results in experiments.

5. What are the applications of a cylinder with weight attached?

A cylinder with weight attached has various applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. It can be used to study the effects of forces on the motion of objects, as well as to demonstrate and test theories and principles. It is also commonly used in educational settings to help students understand and visualize complex concepts in physics.