D-Operator Homework Help: Understanding D^2 - 3D/5 Solved Example

• Thread starter DryRun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Taylor's theorem and the binomial series to solve a mathematical problem involving expanding terms. The third line is explained as a specific occurrence of the binomial series. The conversation also includes a link to a helpful example and thanks for the assistance.
DryRun
Gold Member
I'm reviewing my notes and i can't understand this part:

http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111202/OlsTV2UV.jpg

I have enclosed each corresponding term in the same coloured box. I've reviewed this solved example several times now but can't figure out how the result was obtained in the last line. I expanded each term (D^2 - 3D)/5 according to its power but ended up with terms exceeding powers of 3.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi sharks! :smile:

This is an application of Taylor's theorem.
In this particular case it means that:
1/(1+x)=1-(1/x)+(1/x)^2-...

It holds if |x| is less than 1, and also, in this particular case, it is the result of the corresponding geometric series.

I like Serena said:
This is an application of Taylor's theorem.
In this particular case it means that:
1/(1+x)=1-(1/x)+(1/x)^2-...

It holds if |x| is less than 1, and also, in this particular case, it is the result of the corresponding geometric series.
I think you meant
[tex]\frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^2-x^3+\cdots[/tex] Anyway, that explains the second line, but sharks appears to be asking about the third.

sharks said:
I've reviewed this solved example several times now but can't figure out how the result was obtained in the last line. I expanded each term (D^2 - 3D)/5 according to its power but ended up with terms exceeding powers of 3.
Yes, that's what the dots are for... :smile: There are infinitely many terms in the second line too. The last term before the dots in the second line is included to make sure that all terms with D3 will be included in the last line. Higher order terms in the second line (the terms represented by dots) don't contain any Dn terms with n<4.

Blamey! Yes, that's what I meant. :blushing:

It's actually a Binomial series. And after some more digging around the net, i found the perfect example:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/geomath/level2/series/ser84.html

Thanks for the help. I didn't know what it was, as i had just expanded the whole thing at first.

Cheers!

Oh, it's a specific occurrence of the binomial series for n=-1 instead of a general n.
Note that the binomial series is a special case of Taylor's theorem.

Cheers! :smile:

What is a D-operator?

A D-operator is a mathematical operator used in calculus to represent the derivative of a function. It is written as "d/dx" and indicates the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable, x.

What is the purpose of a D-operator in calculus?

The purpose of a D-operator is to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also used to find the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a given point, which is important in many applications such as physics and engineering.

How do you use a D-operator to solve problems?

To use a D-operator, you must first identify the function and the independent variable. Then, you can apply the D-operator to the function to find the derivative. This can be done using various rules and formulas, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

What are some common mistakes when using a D-operator?

Some common mistakes when using a D-operator include forgetting to apply the chain rule, using the wrong rules for different types of functions, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

How can I improve my understanding of D-operators?

To improve your understanding of D-operators, it is important to practice solving various problems and familiarize yourself with the different rules and formulas. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to discuss and clarify any confusing concepts or questions.