1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D-operator homework help

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1

sharks

Gold Member

I'm reviewing my notes and i can't understand this part:

http://s1.ipicture.ru/uploads/20111202/OlsTV2UV.jpg

I have enclosed each corresponding term in the same coloured box. I've reviewed this solved example several times now but can't figure out how the result was obtained in the last line. I expanded each term (D^2 - 3D)/5 according to its power but ended up with terms exceeding powers of 3.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Re: D-operator

Hi sharks! :smile:

This is an application of Taylor's theorem.
    In this particular case it means that:
    1/(1+x)=1-(1/x)+(1/x)^2-...

It holds if |x| is less than 1, and also, in this particular case, it is the result of the corresponding geometric series.

4. Dec 2, 2011 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you meant
    [tex]\frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^2-x^3+\cdots[/tex] Anyway, that explains the second line, but sharks appears to be asking about the third.

Yes, that's what the dots are for... :smile: There are infinitely many terms in the second line too. The last term before the dots in the second line is included to make sure that all terms with D3 will be included in the last line. Higher order terms in the second line (the terms represented by dots) don't contain any Dn terms with n<4.

5. Dec 2, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Blamey! Yes, that's what I meant. :blushing:

6. Dec 2, 2011 #5

sharks

Gold Member

It's actually a Binomial series. And after some more digging around the net, i found the perfect example:
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Mathematics/geomath/level2/series/ser84.html

Thanks for the help. I didn't know what it was, as i had just expanded the whole thing at first.

Cheers!

7. Dec 2, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Oh, it's a specific occurrence of the binomial series for n=-1 instead of a general n.
    Note that the binomial series is a special case of Taylor's theorem.

Cheers! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook