Damped Electromagnetic Oscillations

In summary, the problem is to find the expression of Im^2 in terms of Um and f using the law of addition of voltages. A circuit was given that consisted of a voltage generator, capacitor, resistor, and inductor in series. The problem was to find the expression of Im^2 in terms of Um and f. Initially, the problem was solved by taking the values of time as 0 and 1/(4f). However, I was unable to continue solving the problem without the ∅. There is a problem here, as the student is solving for just the steady-state solution. If they wanted the complete solution which includes a transient as well as a steady-state solution, they would need to post the problem back Friday
anthonych414

Homework Statement

This problem was given in my physics test, and my physics teacher was unable to provide me with an answer for it. Given a circuit made up of a generator of variable frequency, i=Im(sin2∏ft-∅) and voltage u=Um(sin2∏ft), capacitor of capacitance 1μF, resistor of resistance 120Ω, and a coil of inductance 0.06H with negligible resistance. We were asked to find the expression of Im^2 in terms of Um and f using the law of addition of voltages, and by taking the values of time as 0 and 1/(4f).

Homework Equations

Uc=q/C
U of coil = Ldi/dt
Ur=Ri

The Attempt at a Solution

I was unable to think past finding the law of addition.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be easier to help you if you wrote the problem statement here exactly like it was worded on your test. Maybe just include a picture of it, if possible.

milesyoung said:
I think it would be easier to help you if you wrote the problem statement here exactly like it was worded on your test. Maybe just include a picture of it, if possible.

Unfortunately, I don't get my exam back till Friday.

anthonych414 said:

Homework Statement

This problem was given in my physics test, and my physics teacher was unable to provide me with an answer for it. Given a circuit made up of a generator of variable frequency, i=Im(sin2∏ft-∅) and voltage u=Um(sin2∏ft), capacitor of capacitance 1μF, resistor of resistance 120Ω, and a coil of inductance 0.06H with negligible resistance. We were asked to find the expression of Im^2 in terms of Um and f using the law of addition of voltages, and by taking the values of time as 0 and 1/(4f).

Homework Equations

Uc=q/C
U of coil = Ldi/dt
Ur=Ri

The Attempt at a Solution

I was unable to think past finding the law of addition.

So probably the circuit consisted of the inductor, capacitor and resistor in series with the voltage generator U.

You've written the voltage drops across these 3 components above, so how about equating their sum to the voltage generator for openers?

rude man said:
So probably the circuit consisted of the inductor, capacitor and resistor in series with the voltage generator U.

You've written the voltage drops across these 3 components above, so how about equating their sum to the voltage generator for openers?

I did that, let me show you how far I got. Ug= Uc+Ucoil+Ur

Uc= q/C, i=-dq/dt, thus q=-∫i.dt=(Im/2∏ft)cos(2∏ft-∅)
Ucoil= Ldi/dt = L2∏ftcos(2∏ft-∅)
Ur= Ri= Rsin(2∏ft-∅)

Umsin(2∏ft)=(Im/2∏ft)cos(2∏ft-∅) + L2∏ftcos(2∏ft-∅) + Rsin(2∏ft-∅)

substituting t by 0 yields: (Im/2∏ft)cos(∅) + L2∏ftcos(∅) = Rsin(∅)

substituting t by 1/4f yields: Um= -(2Im/∏)sin(∅) - (L∏/2)cos(∅) + Rcos(∅)

however, I was unable to find an expression of Im^2 in terms of Um and f but without the ∅.

There's a problem here. You're solving for just the steady-state solution. Unfortunately, judging by the wording of the question, they seem to want the complete solution which includes a transient as well as a steady-state solution.

If at t = 0 you apply the source voltage Umsin(wt) to the circuit you will get a time reponse of the current I that includes a transient part which includes time-decaying exponentials, and a steady-state part, which goes as Im*sin(wt + ψ). If they wanted just the steady-state part then your assumption that I = Imsin(wt + ψ) would be justified. Unfortunately, the fact that they asked for the current at t = 0 and t = 1/4f indicates that they wanted you to find the complete solution, which as I say includes a transient part and a steady-state part.

In which case you have to start with the differential equation as you state but change it so it's all in I. You can do this by differentiating your equation once with respect to time to get
dU/dt = L dI2/dt2 + R dI/dt + (1/C) I. You then solve for I(t).

This may be overwhelming to you now so I suggest you post the exact problem when you get it back Friday and we can discuss it some more then if you want to.

Meanwhile you might look at the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit

Related to Damped Electromagnetic Oscillations

1. What are damped electromagnetic oscillations?

Damped electromagnetic oscillations refer to the phenomenon of a decrease in the amplitude of an electromagnetic wave over time due to energy losses within the system. This can occur in any system that exhibits oscillatory behavior, such as LC circuits or radio antennas.

2. What causes damped electromagnetic oscillations?

The main causes of damped electromagnetic oscillations are resistance and radiation losses. Resistance within the circuit or antenna leads to the conversion of electrical energy into heat, resulting in a decrease in the amplitude of the oscillations. Radiation losses occur when the oscillating system emits electromagnetic waves, causing a loss of energy.

3. How are damped electromagnetic oscillations different from undamped oscillations?

Undamped oscillations refer to oscillations that do not experience any energy losses and maintain a constant amplitude over time. In contrast, damped electromagnetic oscillations experience a decrease in amplitude due to energy losses within the system. This leads to a shorter oscillation period and eventual dissipation of the oscillations.

4. What is the role of damping in electromagnetic oscillations?

Damping plays a crucial role in electromagnetic oscillations as it regulates the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations. It also determines the rate at which the oscillations will decay. A higher damping factor leads to a faster decrease in amplitude, while a lower damping factor results in a slower decay.

5. Can damped electromagnetic oscillations be useful?

Yes, damped electromagnetic oscillations can be useful in various applications. For example, in radio broadcasting, damped oscillations are used to transmit signals over long distances by reducing interference from other signals. In scientific research, damped oscillations can provide valuable insights into the behavior of systems and help in the development of new technologies.