1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Harmonic Motion

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all,

A hard boiled egg, with a mass m=51g, moves on the end of a spring, with force constant k=26N/m. It's initial displacement is 0.300m. A damping force F[tex]^{}x[/tex]=-bv[tex]^{}x[/tex] acts on the egg and the amplitude of the motion decreases to 0.106m in a time of 5.45s.

Calculate the magnitude of the damping constant b.

2. Relevant equations

(1) [tex]\omega[/tex]'=[tex]\sqrt{k/m-(b/2m)^2}[/tex] where [tex]\omega[/tex]' is the damped angular frequency

(2) x(t)=Ae^(-bt/2m)cos([tex]\omega[/tex]'t) where x(t)=displacement, A=amplitude, t=time, e=natural exponential, w'=as above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot see how you can calculate the damping constant from the data given. Equation (1) above has two unknowns w' and b, while equation (2) has three x(t), b and w'.

I tried to rearrange equation (2) to get w' as the subject, but found I was unable to separate the variables. I also attempted setting w' as equal to [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex], but this gave the wrong answer too. I'm really just stabbing in the dark, so some help to understand how to go about it is what I need.

I must be missing something obvious and fundamental, for instance is there another way you can calculate [tex]\omega[/tex]' from the given data?

Please help!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted