1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damper and Spring in series?

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    1. Please help. How should I derive the equation for the damper and spring at right side of the mass(as shown in attach pic)? Can I combine both together as Fd + Fs or I need to have set a point between the spring and damper? Thanks.

Picture0039 (2).jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

CEL

If the damper and the spring are in series, the force applied is the same on both of them and propagates to the mass. This force will cause a change of length in the spring and a variation of the velocity in the damper.
    I prefer to make an analogy with electric circuits. Force is analog to current, velocity is analog to voltage, displacement is analog to magnetic flux, mass is analog to capacitance, elastic constant is analog to the inverse of inductance and viscous friction is analog to conductance.
    So, in the same way that a current in series with a resistor and an inductor will give origin to voltages Ri and [tex]L\frac{di}{dt}[/tex], the force in series with a damper and a spring will give origin to velocities [tex]\frac{1}{b}f[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{k}\frac{df}{dt}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook