Damper and Spring in series?

In summary, when the damper and spring are in series, the force applied is the same on both and results in a change of length in the spring and a variation of velocity in the damper. This can be explained using an analogy with electric circuits, where force is analogous to current, velocity to voltage, displacement to magnetic flux, mass to capacitance, elastic constant to inverse of inductance, and viscous friction to conductance.
jackycheun
1. Please help. How should I derive the equation for the damper and spring at right side of the mass(as shown in attach pic)? Can I combine both together as Fd + Fs or I need to have set a point between the spring and damper? Thanks.

Picture0039 (2).jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
jackycheun said:
1. Please help. How should I derive the equation for the damper and spring at right side of the mass(as shown in attach pic)? Can I combine both together as Fd + Fs or I need to have set a point between the spring and damper? Thanks.

View attachment 17877

If the damper and the spring are in series, the force applied is the same on both of them and propagates to the mass. This force will cause a change of length in the spring and a variation of the velocity in the damper.
I prefer to make an analogy with electric circuits. Force is analog to current, velocity is analog to voltage, displacement is analog to magnetic flux, mass is analog to capacitance, elastic constant is analog to the inverse of inductance and viscous friction is analog to conductance.
So, in the same way that a current in series with a resistor and an inductor will give origin to voltages Ri and [tex]L\frac{di}{dt}[/tex], the force in series with a damper and a spring will give origin to velocities [tex]\frac{1}{b}f[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{k}\frac{df}{dt}[/tex]

I would recommend approaching this problem using the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion. First, we must define the forces acting on the mass: the force from the damper (Fd) and the force from the spring (Fs). These forces are acting in opposite directions, so they can be combined as Fd - Fs.

Next, we can use the equation F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. By substituting Fd - Fs for the net force, we get:

ma = Fd - Fs

We also know that the force from the spring can be represented as Fs = -kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as:

ma = Fd + kx

Finally, we can use the equation for the force from the damper, Fd = -cv, where c is the damping coefficient and v is the velocity. By substituting this into the equation, we get:

ma = -cv + kx

This is the equation for a damped harmonic oscillator, which can be solved using techniques from differential equations. Therefore, to derive the equation for the damper and spring in series, we do not need to set a point between them. We can simply combine the forces and use the principles of Newton's Laws to solve the problem.

I hope this helps and good luck with your derivation. Remember to always approach problems in a systematic and logical manner, using the fundamental principles of science.

1. What is the difference between a damper and a spring in series?

A damper is a mechanical device that dissipates energy and reduces vibrations, while a spring is a device that stores and releases mechanical energy. When placed in series, the two work together to provide a combination of energy dissipation and storage.

2. How do a damper and a spring in series affect the overall performance of a system?

The combination of a damper and a spring in series can improve the overall performance of a system by reducing vibrations and increasing stability. The damper absorbs energy and reduces oscillations, while the spring stores and releases energy to maintain a steady motion.

3. Can a damper and a spring in series be used for any type of system?

Yes, a damper and a spring in series can be used in various systems, such as mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic systems. They are commonly used in vehicles, buildings, and industrial equipment to improve their performance and reduce wear and tear.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a damper and a spring in series for a system?

The selection of a damper and a spring in series depends on the type of system, the desired level of damping and stiffness, and the operating conditions. Other factors to consider include size, cost, and compatibility with other components in the system.

5. How do I determine the optimal values for a damper and a spring in series for a specific system?

The optimal values for a damper and a spring in series can be determined through various methods, such as mathematical modeling, experimental testing, and simulation. Factors such as system requirements, performance goals, and cost constraints should be considered when determining the optimal values.