Data analysis for theoretical vs experimental results

• I
  • Thread starter TheBlueDot
  • Start date
TheBlueDot
Hello,

My question is what types of data analysis can I perform on a set of theoretical and experimental results? For example, I have v(x) = cos(x) and I plot my observed data to v(x).

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2022 Award
It really depends upon what you need to know accurately . Typically one measure would be the average root mean sguare deviation of the predicted values cos(x) from the measured values v(x).
The first best thing to do is look at graph displaying both...preferably displaying expected experimental precision somehow. Then there are many paths to follow but your eyeball is a great tool and this is always my first step.

TheBlueDot
Thank you for your response. My theoretical and measured data are very close. The lab instruction just asked for analysis which is kinda vague. :D

Henryk
Gold Member
If you have experimental data and the theoretical formula, the best way to present it is draw the theoretical calculated data as a solid line and plot experimental data as points. It is good to include error bars on the experimental data. If the theoretical curve goes through the error bars, then there is an agreement.

Suggested for: Data analysis for theoretical vs experimental results

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post