Will an AC Light Bulb Burn Out on a DC Circuit?

In summary, assuming equal voltage, a light bulb should not burn out when used on a DC circuit as long as the voltage is equal to the RMS value of the AC circuit. This is because a light bulb is essentially a resistor and the voltage needed to produce the same amount of heat is the same regardless of whether it is AC or DC. However, if the voltage is equal to the peak or average value of the AC circuit, it may cause the filament to overheat and potentially burn out. This is due to how power is calculated in an AC circuit, using the RMS value rather than the peak or average. Therefore, in order to avoid damaging the light bulb, it is important to use the correct voltage.
pgoyer
Assuming equal voltage, will it burn-out an AC light bulb if I put it on a DC circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
pgoyer said:
Assuming equal voltage, will it burn-out an AC light bulb if I put it on a DC circuit?

What do you mean by equal voltage?

Equal RMS: probably not.

Equal peak: depends on how hot the filament gets

Equal average: won't turn on.

HINT: how is power calculated in an AC circuit?

RMS volts, yes. Since a lightbulb is basically a resistor it should be fine. RMS AC is the same voltage that it takes to make the same amount of heat in a resistor driven with the same DC voltage.

Ohm's Law: volts (E) = amps (I) * ohms (R)
Watts Law: watts (P) = amps (I) * volts (E).
A useful derivation is: P = (I^2) * R = current squared * resistance

Let's try a 100-watt lightbulb. And 120 VAC.

AC: 100 watts = .833^2 amps * 144 ohms
120 volts = .833 amps * 144 ohms

I believe your previous correspondent, that a lightbulb is a resistor. So, maybe we know from above that a 100-watt lightbulb is a 144-ohm resistor. Let's try with a 12VDC car battery.

DC: 12 volts = .0833 amps * 144 ohms
1 watts = .0833^2 amps * 144 ohms

Does this show that the lightbulb will not burn out? Does it also show that the bulb won't dissipate enough power to glow?

Who said anything about using the light bulb on 12 volts? The question was whether it was AC or DC.

Related to Will an AC Light Bulb Burn Out on a DC Circuit?

What is a DC light bulb?

A DC (direct current) light bulb is a type of light bulb that operates on a constant flow of electricity in one direction. This is different from an AC (alternating current) light bulb, which operates on a flow of electricity that switches directions at regular intervals.

Can a DC light bulb be used on an AC circuit?

Technically, yes, a DC light bulb can be used on an AC (alternating current) circuit. However, it may not function properly or efficiently. It is recommended to use an AC light bulb on an AC circuit for optimal performance.

What happens if a DC light bulb is used on an AC circuit?

If a DC light bulb is used on an AC (alternating current) circuit, it may flicker or not turn on at all. This is because the direction of the current is constantly changing, which can disrupt the flow of electricity in a DC light bulb.

Can an AC light bulb be used on a DC circuit?

No, an AC (alternating current) light bulb cannot be used on a DC (direct current) circuit. This is because the flow of electricity in an AC light bulb is dependent on the direction of the current, which is constantly changing in a DC circuit. Using an AC light bulb on a DC circuit can cause it to overheat and potentially cause a fire.

What are the advantages of using a DC light bulb on an AC circuit?

There are no significant advantages to using a DC (direct current) light bulb on an AC (alternating current) circuit. It is recommended to use an AC light bulb on an AC circuit for optimal performance and safety.