DC Motor Control for Portable Telescope Mounts: Maintaining Constant Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a telescope mount and the need for a control motor that can maintain a constant speed for photography. The individual is looking for a small and low-cost controller that can handle varying power inputs and be incorporated into a portable mount. The conventional approach is to use an AC clock motor driven by a battery-operated inverter, with the ability to fine-tune the frequency for tracking stars. The design is expected to be stronger than other mounting systems and torque multiplication will be necessary. The individual also references a related project on a telescope for photography.
cstoos
I am in the early stages of the design of a telescope mount and I need a control motor. I am hoping to run it on a battery so I think a DC motor is the way to go, but I need to be able to keep the rotation speed extremely constant for photographic purposes.

So, to my question: Does anyone know of a controllor that can maintain a constant speed with a varying (or most likely, decaying) power input into the motor? If you do, is it small enough to be incorporated into a portable telescope mount?

Edit: I am trying to keep it low cost, which is why I am looking at Servo alternates for now.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The conventional approach is to use an AC clock motor driven from a battery-operated inverter. The inverter frequency can be fine-tuned to track the stars.

What kind of torque can I expect to see out of something like that? This design is going to be a bit beefier than most common mounting systems.

You'll have to look into it. Keep in mind that you will gear down a 1 rpm clock motor by 1:1440 to turn once per day, so you'll get torque multiplication.

Last edited by a moderator:
good project bro. keep it up

1. How does a DC motor control maintain constant speed for portable telescope mounts?

A DC motor control uses a feedback mechanism to adjust the voltage and current supplied to the motor, keeping the speed constant even when there are changes in load or external factors affecting the motor.

2. What types of DC motors are commonly used for portable telescope mounts?

The most commonly used DC motors for portable telescope mounts are brushed DC motors, as they are simple and cost-effective. However, some higher-end mounts may use brushless DC motors for smoother and more precise control.

3. How does a DC motor control handle changes in load?

A DC motor control uses a feedback loop to monitor the motor's speed and adjust the voltage and current supplied to the motor accordingly. If there is an increase in load, the control will increase the power to the motor to maintain a constant speed.

4. Can a DC motor control for portable telescope mounts be customized for different telescope sizes and weights?

Yes, the control can be customized for different telescope sizes and weights by adjusting the feedback mechanism and programming the control for the specific motor and load. Some controls may also have adjustable settings for different mount configurations.

5. Is a DC motor control necessary for all portable telescope mounts?

No, a DC motor control is not necessary for all portable telescope mounts. Some mounts may use manual controls or other types of motor controls. However, a DC motor control is recommended for more precise and consistent tracking of celestial objects.