DC Motor Question: Change in Magnetic Flux

In summary: Gausses Law gives you the flux at a point in space, while Faraday's Law gives you the flux in a volume. The rationale for the second approach is that Faraday's Law is easier to work with, and it is also accurate for fields that are radial in the vicinity of the wire.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

A simple DC motor consists of an armature placed between two poles of a magnet. The armature is rectangular and has dimensions of 90mm in breadth and 100mm in length. Magnetic flux density produced by the magnet is 0.5T. Number of turns of armature winding is 500. What is the change in magnetic flux when the armature is rotated through 360 degree

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer I have arrived at is different from the answer provided.

My answer is as follow:

Change in magnetic flux = Area of the armature x magnetic flux density x 2
= 90mm x 100mm x 0.5T x 2

The answer provided is:

Change in magnetic flux = B x [Area swept in one revolution by each 100mm-side] x [2 sides]
= 0.5T x 2pi(90mm/2)(100mm) x 2

I have no idea how that answer is arrived at.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was the rationale for yours?

The armature is rotating - the 100mm sides move in a circle, so the area swept out by each one is the surface of a cylinder.

The so-called solution seems a bit odd to me. Why would the area swept out by a side matter?

Usually the flux referred to in these rotating coil problems is the flux that passes through the cross-sectional area that is defined by the plane of the coil. Since the coil rotates in the field, it will vary from some maximum value, to zero, and back again to the maximum value through a 360° rotation. The maximum value occurs when the plane of the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field (so that the presented cross sectional area of the coil is maximum).

The diagram provided in the question is quite similar to the one I have attached, except that the coil is substituted with a rectangular armature with wire around it.

I find the solution weird because normally I would calculate change in magnetic flux by finding change in the magnetic field perpendicular to the coil and multiply it to the area of the coil. However, solution considers surface area swept by the coil, which I have never seen before.

You said that there are two ways to calculate change in magnetic flux. What is the rationale for the second approach and when do you use the second approach?

Attachments

• 400px-Motor_Commutators.jpg
    400px-Motor_Commutators.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 425
iirc - you can use Faraday's Law or Gausses Law. Gausses Law has integral and differential forms. They are actually forms of the same thing - you use the one that makes the math easiest.

Did you read the reference provided? - it shows how you use Faraday's Law for a motor with a cylindrically symmetric B field - it's radial in the vicinity of the wire. It would be better if there was an iron core inside the loop though. Even so, the flux-density half-way between the magnets is still higher than that by the poles.

It's a bit mean because you are used to rectangular fields.

1. How does a change in magnetic flux affect a DC motor?

A change in magnetic flux affects a DC motor by inducing an electromotive force (EMF) in the coil of the motor. This EMF creates a current flow in the coil, which in turn creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor. This interaction causes the motor to rotate and produce mechanical energy.

2. What causes a change in magnetic flux in a DC motor?

A change in magnetic flux can be caused by varying the strength of the magnetic field, changing the number of turns in the coil, or altering the speed of rotation of the motor. It can also be caused by external factors such as temperature changes or the presence of other magnetic fields.

3. How does the direction of the change in magnetic flux affect a DC motor?

The direction of the change in magnetic flux affects the direction of the induced current in the coil and therefore the direction of the magnetic field created by the coil. This, in turn, determines the direction of the torque on the motor's shaft and thus the direction of rotation of the motor.

4. Can a DC motor be controlled by changing the magnetic flux?

Yes, a DC motor can be controlled by changing the magnetic flux. By varying the strength or direction of the magnetic field, the speed and direction of the motor can be adjusted. This is the principle behind speed control in DC motors.

5. How do different types of DC motors respond to changes in magnetic flux?

Different types of DC motors, such as brushed and brushless motors, respond differently to changes in magnetic flux. Brushed motors use a commutator to switch the direction of the current flow, while brushless motors use electronic controllers to switch the direction of the current. This results in different responses to changes in magnetic flux and affects the overall performance of the motor.