1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC Steady State (RLC circuit)

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the Figure Q1 (c), the switch S was closed for very long time before it is opened at time t = 0. Find the value of vC(t) and iL(t) at t = 0+ c L i.e. immediately after the switch was opened.

2ewzh1i.jpg

2. Relevant equations

V = IR

3. The attempt at a solution

From DC steady state, we know that C acts as an open circuit while L acts as a short wire, hence, we will have:

Current in circuit = 20 / (10+10) = 1A
    vC(t) is thus 20 - (10*1) = 10V.

However, for iL(t), I am a bit confused, because since this is a short wire, will the 2A current affect the current in this wire? This is because my answer is 1A, however, when I simulate this circuit in LTSpice, it gave me an answer of 3A, which is a bit puzzling. The direction of current would be different, and thus, even if the 2A current source affects the current in the inductor (which is a short), it should be 1-2 = -1A right?

Thanks for any assistance rendered! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try replacing the 2A source and 50Omh resistor with their Thevinin equivalent - see if that clears it up for you.

4. Nov 9, 2014 #3
    otngo7.jpg

I think I know why now. I must add 2A to the 1A already present from the 20V source. Thanks! So that means, unless the right of the inductor are purely resistors, I cannot just ignore the right branches even though the inductor is shorting, right?

5. Nov 9, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

In general you can't ignore any sources that might contribute to the voltage or current you're interested in. When in doubt, try looking at the circuit via superposition (consider the contributions of each source individually).

6. Nov 9, 2014 #5
    I see. I will keep that in mind. Thank you! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted