Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dc supply to transformer

1. Dec 23, 2014 #1
    my friend gave a dc supply to a transformer in my college lab accidentally and the fuse went off can i get an explanation on why this happened?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2014 #2
    Transformer work only with AC voltage. For DC transformer act just like a short wire (a very small resistance ).

4. Dec 23, 2014 #3
    Can you please explain how a transformer shows very small resistance to a DC supply?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  5. Dec 23, 2014 #4

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually this sounds like a disguised homework question. If you are messing with transformers in lab you should already know the answer to the question.

6. Dec 23, 2014 #5
    Because transformers is essentially just two or more coils of wire wrapped around the core. And wires has "low" resistance.

7. Dec 23, 2014 #6
    You have a careful smart friend

8. Dec 23, 2014 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, if your friend had been able to measure the way the current varied around the time of switch on, he would have found that the current value followed a curve, because the Iron core of the transformer behaves like an electromagnet. The magnetic field energy takes time to build up and it produces a 'back emf' which delays the DC current increase (This would be fairly quick with a mains transformer - only a few tens of milliseconds before the fuse started to blow.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook