1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

De Broglie

1. Oct 6, 2004 #1
    Ok so my homework question says find the de broglie wavelength of a 100 gram ball traveling at 100 miles per hour. So do a little dimensional analysis and 100 mph is 44.704 m/s and since the de broglie wavelength is found with lamda=h/p and p=mv then I am good to go, I get 1.48 x 10^(-24) angstroms for my wavelength.
    It then goes on to say "is there any experimental method by which a wavelength of this size might be measured?" So I was thinking you could throw that ball at something stationary, use the equation for compton scattered wavelength and replace c with v (or the 44.704 m/s) and theta with the angle of trajectory, this would give you a calculated wavelength for the ball after having hit something. Then measure the new velocity after impact and actually calculate the new wavelength using the de broglie equation. Am i way off?
    thanks
    rachael

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Compton scattering is when a photon scatters against an electron. The photon is a relativistic particle; you can't use the same idea with a 100 gram ball.

Find the approximate sizes of atoms, nuclei and so. Then compare it with your [itex]10^{-24}[/itex] angstrom.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?