How Does Deceleration Affect Distance on a Slope?

In summary: Remember that people are busy and may not have the expertise to answer your question quickly. In summary, the conversation is about a practical exercise where a bogey was accelerated and released to go up a ramp. The person was given measurements and was asked to write a report comparing predicted values for distance traveled to the measured distance. They calculated average power and total kinetic energy using the given measurements and equations. They also mentioned using a diagram and resolving parallel and perpendicular values for force, as well as calculating deceleration and displacement using relevant equations. They are seeking confirmation or correction of their thought process.
Cameron Rose
Hi guys, I'm new to this site so forgive me if I'm unfamiliar with any etiquette unique to here. We did a practical exercise the other day in class in which we accelerated a bogey to a certain RPM and then released it to accelerate up a ramp. We were then given a sheet of the measurements I have listed below and told to go home and write a report calculating predicted values for the distance traveled up the ramp and compare the values to the distance we had measured. Friction is negligible.

Homework Statement

Given measurements
Mid ordinate power values
Time = 6.3s (from release to maximum potential energy)
Mass = 0.626 kg
Initial RPM = 750 RPM
Distance traveled up slope = 2.27 m
Height at max distance = 0.04 m

Measurements calculated/known so far
Average Power = 1.38 W
Total Ek = 10.488 J
Angular velocity = 25pi rad/s
Angular Ek = 0.8326 J
Linear Ek = 9.6554 J
Initial velocity = 5.55 m/s
Final velocity = 0 m/s

Homework Equations

[/B]

E = Pt
E = 0.5Iw^2 (substituting omega for w)
E = 0.5mv^2
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
F = ma
F = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculated average power, then used E = Pt to determine total kinetic energy.
Stated that Ek (total) = Angular Ek + Linear Ek
Used values of mass and radius to calculate inertia for each component. (Values not listed as I'm confodent this is correct.
Calculated Angular Ek using E = 0.5Iw^2 for each component then summed them for total.
Calculated Linear Ek using Ek (total) - Angular Ek
Calculated Initial Velocity using E = 0.5mv^2

I think I now need to draw a diagram and resolve parallel and perpendicular values for the force?
Then use F = ma to calculate deceleration?
Then use v^2 = u^2 + 2as to calculate displacement?

If someone could confirm/correct my thought process there it would be brilliant.

Cheers,
Cameron.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is deceleration on a gradient?

Deceleration on a gradient refers to the rate at which an object slows down as it moves up or down a slope or incline.

2. How is deceleration on a gradient calculated?

Deceleration on a gradient is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect deceleration on a gradient?

The factors that affect deceleration on a gradient include the steepness of the slope, the mass of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface of the slope.

4. How does deceleration on a gradient impact an object's motion?

Deceleration on a gradient causes an object to slow down as it moves up or down a slope. This can affect the distance the object travels, the time it takes to reach a certain point, and the overall speed of the object.

5. Can deceleration on a gradient be negative?

Yes, deceleration on a gradient can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the slope. This means that the object is accelerating, or speeding up, as it moves down the slope.