Decibels and intensity of police car siren

In summary, the conversation discussed the differences between decibels and intensity, and how they can be measured using a logarithmic scale. The problem involved finding the decibel increase in sound intensity when a police car with a siren at 80 decibels is moved from 200 meters to 50 meters away. The conversation also mentioned using the inverse square relationship to calculate intensity at different distances. Some confusion was expressed about the calculations, but a helpful link was provided for reference.
Aphrael
I am struggling with understanding the difference between decibels and intensity. I know that intensity can be measure in decibels but they are not always the same thing.

I have a problem where there is a police car 200 meters from an accident runing sirens at 80 decibels. I am asked to find how many decibels higher the sound intensity will be when the police car is only 50 meters away. Then I am asked to find how many cars are needed to match the sound of a rock concert (120 dB).

I tried using (I1/I2)=(R2/R1)^2 but I ended up getting 1200 dB which I knew could not be correct.

What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Decibels use a logorithmic scale. 10 decibel increment means intensity increased by a factor of 10.

You have the right idea in thinking about the inverse square relationship. You just didn't put it into a mathematical statement properly. If the distance is doubled, the intensity goes down by [tex]\frac{1}{2^2}[/tex]. If the distance is tripled, the intensity goes down by [tex]\frac{1}{3^2}[/tex], etc...

Does that help?

EDIT: You'll need the hint from mathman too.

Last edited:
Okay I'm more confused now. I know about about the logorithmic scale thing. But I also know that since dB=10 log(I2/I1) Going down 3dB is equivalent to decreasing by a factor of two since 10 log(2)=dB. I also know that every 10dB the intensity doubles. So I don't understand how 10dB increases the intensity by 10. Please don't think I'm trying to say your wrong. I am just confused and want to show you my train of thought so you can tell me where I am wrong.

Also with the doubling, tripling distance thing...still confused. Are you saying I need to find the ratio between my two distances and then the total "R" equals the ratio squared?

Perhaps you can take a look at this link:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acoustic/roomi.html#c1

Scroll down to where it talks about doubling the distance. You'll notice in your problem that you are doubling the distance twice, i.e. 50 to 100 ft and then 100 ft to 200 ft. For every doubling of the distance, the intensity decreases by 6 db. So your problem is simply going the other way. Instead of subtracting dB's from the source, you are adding.

Double check your calcs here:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acoustic/isprob.html#c3

Last edited:

1. What is a decibel and how is it related to sound intensity?

A decibel is a unit of measurement used to quantify the intensity of sound. It is a logarithmic scale that compares the sound pressure level (SPL) to a reference level. The higher the decibel value, the louder the sound.

2. How loud is a typical police car siren?

The sound intensity of a police car siren can vary depending on the specific model and settings. However, most police sirens have a sound intensity of around 120 decibels at a distance of 100 feet.

3. Can prolonged exposure to police siren noise cause hearing damage?

Yes, prolonged exposure to high-intensity sound, such as a police car siren, can cause permanent hearing damage. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), exposure to sounds above 85 decibels for more than 8 hours can cause hearing loss.

4. How does the intensity of a police car siren affect its effectiveness?

The intensity of a police car siren is directly related to its effectiveness. A louder siren can be heard from a further distance and can grab the attention of more people. Additionally, a high-intensity siren can also help to drown out other background noises, making it easier for drivers to hear and respond to the siren.

5. Are there any regulations for the sound intensity of police car sirens?

Yes, there are regulations in place to ensure that police car sirens are not excessively loud. In the United States, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has set a maximum sound intensity limit of 123 decibels for emergency vehicle sirens. Additionally, individual states may have their own regulations for the use of sirens by emergency vehicles.