Definite Integral Homework: Equations and Solution Attempt

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving computing bn and finding that the solution is under 1. The person has already computed bn and got an end result under 3, but it doesn't match the solution's end result. They are discussing the cancellation of positive and negative terms in the equation \frac{2}{n\pi} \cos\left( \frac{n\pi}{2} \right) and expressing frustration with the length of Fourier series problems.
ainster31

Homework Statement

hZ6nXat.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

b3l7Zi3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you write some sentences too? You just posted a bunch of equations. So, could you tell us exactly the statement that needs to be proven. Tell us in words what you did. Tell us exactly where you are stuck.

R136a1 said:
Could you write some sentences too? You just posted a bunch of equations. So, could you tell us exactly the statement that needs to be proven. Tell us in words what you did. Tell us exactly where you are stuck.

bn needs to be computed. The solution is under 1.

I computed bn and the end result is under 3. The issue is that my end result doesn't match the solution's end result.

You got the same answer, just cancel the positive and negative
[tex]\frac{2}{n\pi} \cos\left( \frac{n\pi}{2} \right) [/tex]
that you have

Office_Shredder said:
You got the same answer, just cancel the positive and negative
[tex]\frac{2}{n\pi} \cos\left( \frac{n\pi}{2} \right) [/tex]
that you have

Thanks. These Fourier series problems are so painfully long T_T.

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a given interval. It is denoted by ∫f(x)dx and can be thought of as the sum of infinitely small rectangles that make up the area under the curve.

2. How do I solve definite integral homework?

To solve definite integral homework, you will need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. You will also need to have a good understanding of the fundamental properties of integrals and how to evaluate them using appropriate limits.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve definite integrals?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve definite integrals. However, it is important to note that most calculators can only provide numerical approximations of the solution and may not show the steps involved in solving the integral.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving definite integrals?

One common mistake to avoid when solving definite integrals is forgetting to add the constant of integration when using integration techniques. It is also important to double-check your limits of integration and make sure they are correct. Another mistake to avoid is not simplifying your final answer as much as possible.

5. How can I check if my solution attempt for a definite integral is correct?

You can check if your solution attempt for a definite integral is correct by taking the derivative of your solution and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online integral calculators to verify your answer or ask a teacher or tutor for feedback on your solution attempt.