Integral: Find x=sin θ for 0-0.5

In summary, arildno and espen180 are trying to solve an integration problem using different methods. One way to do this is to use another integration method. However, arildno is unclear about why he can't take the upper bound to be (5 pi)/6. Mr. HallsofIvy explains that cos(\theta) can't be negative, but can be written as \pm cos(\theta)|.
songoku

Homework Statement

Find using substitution [tex]x=\sin \theta[/tex]

[tex]\int _0^{0.5}\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

integration

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int _0^{0.5}\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{6}}\sin \theta\;d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=1-\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{3}[/tex]

What I want to ask is about changing the upper bound of the integral.

For x = 0.5 :
[tex]0.5 = \sin \theta[/tex]

Here I choose [tex]\theta = \frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]. But what if I choose [tex]\theta = \frac{5}{6}\pi\;??[/tex]

So, the integral :
[tex]=\int_0^{\frac{5}{6}\pi}\sin \theta\;d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=1+\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{3}[/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A good way to check your answers on integration problems is to solve them in different ways and compare their answers. One way to do this is to use another integration method.

Be careful!

We have, ignoring boundary values:
[tex]\int\frac{xdx}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}=\int\frac{\sin\theta\cos\theta{d\theta}}{\sqrt{1-\sin^{2}\theta}}=\int\sin\theta\frac{\cos\theta}{|\cos\theta|}d\theta[/tex]

Do you see what you need to be careful about when simplifying this further?

In particular, why is your choice: "But what if I choose [itex]\theta=\frac{5}{6}\pi[/itex]" troublesome?

Hi arildno and espen180
arildno said:
We have, ignoring boundary values:
[tex]\int\frac{xdx}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}=\int\frac{\sin\theta\cos\theta{d\theta}}{\sqrt{1-\sin^{2}\theta}}=\int\sin\theta\frac{\cos\theta}{|\cos\theta|}d\theta[/tex]

Do you see what you need to be careful about when simplifying this further?

In particular, why is your choice: "But what if I choose [itex]\theta=\frac{5}{6}\pi[/itex]" troublesome?[/QUOTE]

Ah, maybe you are referring to the square root. The value of [tex]\cos \theta[/tex] should be positive so the angle should be in first quadrant, where the values of sin and cos are positive.

espen180 said:
A good way to check your answers on integration problems is to solve them in different ways and compare their answers. One way to do this is to use another integration method.
I've checked it using substitution u = 1-x^2 and got the answer. What I am confused is about why I can't take the upper bound to be (5 pi)/6. But I think I get it now

Thank you very much, arildno and espen180 :smile:

It is same either if you pick п/6 or 5п/6 because п - п/6 = 5п/6 and both result with positive value of sin(x).

What arildno meant to say is that you should be careful with the absolute value [tex]\int{sin(x)\frac{cos(x)}{|cos(x)|}dx}=\int{sin(x)\frac{cos(x)}{\pm cos(x)}dx}=\int{\pm sin(x)dx}[/tex]

So, you should consider the negative values for cos(x) and not just the positive ones. :smile:

P.S And why you chose x=0 for sin(x)=0, why you did not choose x=п, since both are valid?

Hi njama

I don't really understand about the absolute sign. Why can it be negative? I think it's should be positive since it's a square root and we don't have to consider the negative value.

Ok, I will explain.

For example if you have [itex]y^2=16[/itex] so that we can write |y|=4

What that means is y can be either -4 or 4 so that |y|=4 or [itex]y=\pm 4[/itex]

Lets check it out:

(-4)2=16, 42=16 or |-4|=4 but also |4|=4

In this case take cos(x) = y, and you will see what I am talking about. :smile:

songoku said:
Hi njama

I don't really understand about the absolute sign. Why can it be negative? I think it's should be positive since it's a square root and we don't have to consider the negative value.

Of course, [itex]|cos(\theta)|[/itex] cannot be negative. But you can write it as [itex]\pm cos(\theta)|[/itex] because [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] itself can be positive or negative.

IF [itex]\theta= (5/6)\pi[/itex] then [itex]cos(\theta)= cos((5/6)\pi)= -\sqrt{3}/2[/itex] so [itex]|cos(\theta)|= - cos(\theta)= \sqrt{3}/2[/itex].

Hi njama and Mr. HallsofIvy

This is my interpretation after reading your posts.

[tex]\int_{0}^{0.5}\frac{xdx}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex] can turn out to be:

[tex]1.\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{6}}\sin \theta\;d\theta\;\text{or}[/tex]

[tex]2.\int_{\pi}^{\frac{5}{6}\pi}-\sin \theta\;d\theta[/tex]

Am I right? Or maybe there are any other forms with different upper and lower bounds?

Thanks

1. What is integral?

Integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total amount of a quantity or to solve problems involving rate of change.

2. What does x=sin θ mean?

x=sin θ is a trigonometric equation, where x represents the horizontal distance and θ represents the angle in a right triangle. It is used to relate the angle of a triangle to its side lengths.

3. What is the purpose of finding x=sin θ for 0-0.5?

The purpose of finding x=sin θ for 0-0.5 is to evaluate the definite integral of the sine function between the values of 0 and 0.5. This can be useful in solving problems related to finding the area under a curve or determining the average value of a function.

4. How do you solve for x=sin θ for 0-0.5?

To solve for x=sin θ for 0-0.5, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration by substitution. This involves finding the antiderivative of the sine function, evaluating it at the given limits, and subtracting the two values.

5. What are the real-life applications of finding x=sin θ for 0-0.5?

Finding x=sin θ for 0-0.5 has various real-life applications, such as calculating the displacement of a pendulum, determining the amount of work done by a force, or finding the average velocity of an object. It is also used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to solve problems involving rates of change.