Solving Definite Integrals with Variable Limits

In summary, you can use u substitution to find the derivative of an integral from a to u multiplied by du/dx. You can also split the integral into two integrals and use the product rule on the first integral and the differentiation theorem on the second.
CalculusHelp1

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve a problem where you are asked to find the derivative of an integral where both limits of integrations contain variables

Homework Equations

Definition of integrals, derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

For problems where you have an integral from a to x, where a is a constant and x is the variable and you are asked to find the derivative of the integral, you can just apply the fundamental theorem of calculus and arrive at the original function f(x).

For problems where you have an integral from a to a function of x, such as x^2, you can use 'u' substitution and find the derivative of the integral from a to u multiplied by du/dx

What can you do for problems where both the lower and upper bounds are variables, e.g. derivative of an integral from x to x^2-x. How would you approach one of these problems?

I can answer questions of the first two kinds but am stuck on the third type.

Physics news on Phys.org
CalculusHelp1 said:

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve a problem where you are asked to find the derivative of an integral where both limits of integrations contain variables

Homework Equations

Definition of integrals, derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

For problems where you have an integral from a to x, where a is a constant and x is the variable and you are asked to find the derivative of the integral, you can just apply the fundamental theorem of calculus and arrive at the original function f(x).

For problems where you have an integral from a to a function of x, such as x^2, you can use 'u' substitution and find the derivative of the integral from a to u multiplied by du/dx

What can you do for problems where both the lower and upper bounds are variables, e.g. derivative of an integral from x to x^2-x. How would you approach one of these problems?

I can answer questions of the first two kinds but am stuck on the third type.

You can split the integral into two integrals. For example,
[tex]\int_x^{x^2 -x} f(x) dx = \int_x^a f(x) dx + \int_a^{x^2-x} f(x)dx[/tex]
[tex]= -\int_a^x f(x) dx + \int_a^{x^2-x} f(x)dx[/tex]

Thanks a lot!

Sorry one more question, how would you deal with finding the derivative if there was another function being multiplied by the integral?

For example, d(x^5 * integral of f(x) from x to x^2-x)/dx?

Do you use the product rule here or is there some other trick?

Nevermind I figured it out.

Problems solved.

1. How do I identify the limits of integration in a definite integral?

The limits of integration in a definite integral are the upper and lower bounds of the integral. They are typically denoted by the variables a and b and are placed on the integral symbol. For example, in the integral ∫a to b f(x)dx, a is the lower limit and b is the upper limit.

2. How do I solve a definite integral with variable limits?

To solve a definite integral with variable limits, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus. This theorem states that the definite integral of a function f(x) from a to b is equal to the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at b minus the antiderivative of f(x) evaluated at a. In other words, you can find the definite integral by plugging in the upper limit and subtracting the result from plugging in the lower limit.

3. Can I change the variable of integration in a definite integral?

Yes, you can change the variable of integration in a definite integral as long as you also change the limits of integration to match the new variable. This is known as u-substitution and can be a helpful technique when solving integrals with variable limits.

4. What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give you a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give you a function as the answer.

5. How can I check my answer when solving a definite integral with variable limits?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of your solution. If the result matches the original integrand, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integral calculators to verify your answer or ask a math tutor for assistance.