Definition of Integration (Reimann sums, etc.)

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a function, specifically f(x) = x. It is noted that a trapezoid is formed and the relevant equation is 1/2(b-a)(b+a). To confirm this result, the interval from a to b is divided into n equal parts and the integral is found as the limit of a sum. The value of this sum is found to be nah + (1/2)n(n+1)h2. After some confusion and calculations, the speaker eventually understands how to reach this result.
Bound
So I was just working through Courant's calculus and am a bit confused as to where a few variables are pulled out of.

Homework Statement

Integration of f(x) = x

We can see that a trapezoid is formed, so the relevant equation:
1/2(b-a)(b+a) is the value of this integral.

To confirm that our limiting process leads analytically to the same result, we subdivide the interval from a to b into n equal parts by means of the points of division
a + h, a + 2h, . . ., a + (n-1)h, where h = (b-a)/n.
(I still understand at this point as this is simply diving into n pieces)

Taking for εi the right-hand end point of each interval we find the integral as the limit as n -> ∞ of the sum

Fn = (a+h)h + (a+2h)h + . . . + (a + nh)h
(At this point I am not sure where the h outside the brackets has come from and what it represents, I thought h was the distance between segments?)
= nah + (1+2+3+ . . . + n)h2
= nah + (1/2)n(n+1)h2
(And at this point I am basically completely lost, I know the arithmetic series formula applies, but do not understand how to get to this point.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I foiled it out and managed to figure it all out.

It didn't help that I was mistakenly looking at the term of a series formula for arithmetic series rather than the sum formula :-)

Related to Definition of Integration (Reimann sums, etc.)

What is the definition of integration?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It involves calculating the area under a curve or between two curves on a graph.

What is a Riemann sum?

A Riemann sum is an approximation of the area under a curve using rectangles. It is calculated by dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and finding the sum of the areas of the rectangles formed by the curve and the x-axis within each subinterval.

What is the difference between a left, right, and midpoint Riemann sum?

A left Riemann sum uses the left endpoint of each subinterval to calculate the height of the rectangles, a right Riemann sum uses the right endpoint, and a midpoint Riemann sum uses the midpoint of each subinterval. These methods can give different approximations of the area under a curve, but they become more accurate as the number of subintervals increases.

How does the Riemann sum relate to the definite integral?

The Riemann sum is a way to approximate the area under a curve, while the definite integral is the exact value of this area. As the number of subintervals in a Riemann sum approaches infinity, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the value of the definite integral.

What is the significance of integration in real-world applications?

Integration is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the total distance traveled, or to find the total revenue of a business over a given period of time. It is also used to calculate volumes and areas in 3-dimensional spaces.