1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Integration (Reimann sums, etc.)

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    So I was just working through Courant's calculus and am a bit confused as to where a few variables are pulled out of.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integration of f(x) = x

We can see that a trapezoid is formed, so the relevant equation:
    1/2(b-a)(b+a) is the value of this integral.

To confirm that our limiting process leads analytically to the same result, we subdivide the interval from a to b into n equal parts by means of the points of division
    a + h, a + 2h, . . ., a + (n-1)h, where h = (b-a)/n.
    (I still understand at this point as this is simply diving into n pieces)

Taking for εi the right-hand end point of each interval we find the integral as the limit as n -> ∞ of the sum

Fn = (a+h)h + (a+2h)h + . . . + (a + nh)h
    (At this point I am not sure where the h outside the brackets has come from and what it represents, I thought h was the distance between segments?)
    = nah + (1+2+3+ . . . + n)h2
    = nah + (1/2)n(n+1)h2
    (And at this point I am basically completely lost, I know the arithmetic series formula applies, but do not understand how to get to this point.)

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2
    Never mind, I foiled it out and managed to figure it all out.

It didn't help that I was mistakenly looking at the term of a series formula for arithmetic series rather than the sum formula :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook