Definition of work done by torque

In summary: JustAnswer.In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the work done by a torque using the formula W = ∫ F ⋅ ds and the concept of vector triple product. The direction of dθ is perpendicular to the plane of circular motion and the angle between Torque and dθ is equal to the angular velocity.
Cedric Chia
I' m trying to derive the work done by a torque from W = ∫ F ⋅ ds and I' ve looked up the internet, it said:

W = ∫ F ⋅ ds ( since ds = dθ × r ) ---------------------------------------- ( Line 1 )

it can be written as

W = ∫ F ⋅ dθ x r

this is a vector triple product , thus can also be written as

W = ∫ r × F ⋅ dθ

W = ∫ Torque ⋅ dθ ----------------------------------------------------- ( Line 2 )

My question is :
In what direction is dθ pointing so that when I cross-product dθ and r ( Line 1 ), it become ds ? And also, when I dot-product Torque and dθ ( Line 2 ) , what is the angle between them ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cedric Chia said:
I' m trying to derive the work done by a torque from W = ∫ F ⋅ ds and I' ve looked up the internet, it said:

W = ∫ F ⋅ ds ( since ds = dθ × r ) ---------------------------------------- ( Line 1 )

it can be written as

W = ∫ F ⋅ dθ x r

this is a vector triple product , thus can also be written as

W = ∫ r × F ⋅ dθ

W = ∫ Torque ⋅ dθ ----------------------------------------------------- ( Line 2 )

My question is :
In what direction is dθ pointing so that when I cross-product dθ and r ( Line 1 ), it become ds ? And also, when I dot-product Torque and dθ ( Line 2 ) , what is the angle between them ?
A rotation can be represented as a vector along the axis of rotation, so it is normal to the plane of rotation. If the force lies in that plane then it will be parallel to the rotation vector. But in general it need not be. E.g. consider a car skidding at an angle, brakes off. The frictional force wIll be at any angle to the rotation axis.

Likes Cedric Chia
haruspex said:
A rotation can be represented as a vector along the axis of rotation, so it is normal to the plane of rotation. If the force lies in that plane then it will be parallel to the rotation vector. But in general it need not be. E.g. consider a car skidding at an angle, brakes off. The frictional force wIll be at any angle to the rotation axis.
Thanks for the reply, so the dθ is not in the same direction with the unit vector θ hat ? ( which we introduced in the polar coordinates, θ hat is tangent to the circular motion ) . Instead, dθ is perpendicular to the plane of circular motion ( same direction as angular velocity ) ?

Likes Delta2
Cedric Chia said:
Instead, dθ is perpendicular to the plane of circular motion ( same direction as angular velocity ) ?
Yes. In fact, ##d\theta/dt## is the angular velocity.

Likes Cedric Chia
Orodruin said:
Yes. In fact, ##d\theta/dt## is the angular velocity.
Thank you

What is the definition of work done by torque?

The work done by torque is defined as the amount of energy transferred to an object by a force that causes it to rotate around a specific axis. It is measured in units of joules (J).

How is work done by torque calculated?

The work done by torque is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is also known as the moment arm or lever arm.

What is the relationship between work done by torque and rotational motion?

Work done by torque is directly related to rotational motion. The more work that is done by torque, the greater the object's rotational motion will be. This is because torque is responsible for producing rotational motion.

Can negative work be done by torque?

Yes, negative work can be done by torque. This occurs when the applied force and the direction of rotation are in opposite directions. In this case, the torque will work against the rotation and take energy away from the object.

What are some real-life examples of work done by torque?

Some examples of work done by torque in everyday life include opening a door, turning a steering wheel, or using a wrench to tighten a bolt. In each of these cases, a force is applied at a distance from a point of rotation, resulting in work being done by torque.