Deflection of circular plate

In summary, the conversation is about using a linear actuator to lift a 30kg lid with a diameter of 380mm. The person can only use 1/3rd of the lid for support and has used a 60*20*180 long plate mounted to the lid for lifting. They are asking for help in calculating the deflection of the lid when lifted to 100mm.
Rajashekar
Hi
In one of my application I am using a linear actuator to lift a 30kg lid which has a diameter of 380mm.
I can only use 1/3rd portion on the lid to take support, for actuator which I used a 60*20*180 long plate mounted to the lid and lift.

How to calculate the deflection of lid when lifted to 100mm

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rajashekar said:
Hi
In one of my application I am using a linear actuator to lift a 30kg lid which has a diameter of 380mm.
I can only use 1/3rd portion on the lid to take support, for actuator which I used a 60*20*180 long plate mounted to the lid and lift.

How to calculate the deflection of lid when lifted to 100mm
Welcome to the PF.

Can you post a diagram of your setup? It's a bit hard to understand your question (at least it is for me). Thanks. :smile:

Likes Rajashekar and mechpeac
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Can you post a diagram of your setup? It's a bit hard to understand your question (at least it is for me). Thanks. :smile:
Hello Berkeman,
Thanks for your reply. Here is the image
I have attached, the plate is mounted to lid using 4- M10 screws and the lid is lifted to 100mm length

Thanks in advance:smile:

Attachments

• P_20160305_085239_1.jpg
    P_20160305_085239_1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 355
Rajashekar said:
Hello Berkeman,
Thanks for your reply. Here is the image
I have attached, the plate is mounted to lid using 4- M10 screws and the lid is lifted to 100mm length

Thanks in advance:smile:
The lid weight is 30kg, the actuator load carrying capacity 1500N.

1. What is the deflection of a circular plate?

The deflection of a circular plate refers to the amount of bending or displacement that occurs when a load is applied to the plate.

2. What factors affect the deflection of a circular plate?

The deflection of a circular plate is affected by various factors such as the magnitude and distribution of the load, the material properties of the plate, and the boundary conditions.

3. How is the deflection of a circular plate calculated?

The deflection of a circular plate can be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas, such as the Navier's equation or the Kirchhoff's formula, which take into account the plate's dimensions, material properties, and load distribution.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding deflection of circular plates?

Understanding deflection of circular plates is crucial in engineering and structural design, as it helps in predicting the behavior of circular plates under various loading conditions. It is commonly used in the design of bridges, pressure vessels, and other structures.

5. How can deflection of a circular plate be minimized?

Deflection of a circular plate can be minimized by using stiffer and stronger materials, optimizing the shape and thickness of the plate, and providing adequate support and reinforcement at the boundaries.