Degeneracies in Optical Modes in relation to Heat Capacity in a Solid

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of degeneracies and symmetries in the optical modes of a solid. The speaker suspects that there may be some degeneracies involved, but is unsure which ones. They then go on to discuss their calculations for finding the individual contributions of each optical mode to the heat capacity, taking into account degeneracy. They ask for confirmation on their approach.
war485
Technically I'm supposed to have a total of 8 optical modes but only 4 of them were seen in a solid (by spectroscopy). So I suspect there's some degeneracies and symmetries involved, but I don't know which ones.
I have two sets of assigned degeneracies:

frequency; degeneracy set 1; degeneracy set 2
f#1 ; 2 ; 5
f#2 ; 2 ; 1
f#3 ; 2 ; 1
f#4 ; 2 ; 1

This is what I'm attempting below:
I'm doing some quick calculations assuming Einstein's model of a solid for heat capacity at several temperatures.
What I want is to find the individual contributions of each optical mode to the heat capacity.
For each frequency per degeneracy set, I'm taking: (calculated heat capacity)*(4 observed modes)*(corresponding degeneracy assignment for given frequency) / (8 total optical modes).
For example, for f#1: (heat capacity)*(4*2/8) + (heat capacity)*(4*5/8).
Is that the correct way to incorporate/weigh/factor/scale degeneracy into heat capacity per optic mode?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is a degeneracy in optical modes?

A degeneracy in optical modes refers to the phenomenon where multiple energy levels in a solid have the same energy value. This can occur when the solid has symmetrical properties, resulting in different modes of vibration having the same energy.

2. How does degeneracy affect heat capacity in a solid?

Degeneracy in optical modes can significantly affect the heat capacity of a solid. Since degenerate modes have the same energy value, they contribute to the total heat capacity of the solid in the same way. This results in an increase in the overall heat capacity of the solid.

3. What is the relation between degeneracies and the number of atoms in a solid?

The number of atoms in a solid can affect the degeneracy of its optical modes. In general, the more atoms present in a solid, the higher the chance of degeneracies occurring in its optical modes. This is because a larger number of atoms can lead to more symmetrical configurations, resulting in degenerate modes of vibration.

4. Can degeneracies in optical modes be broken?

Yes, it is possible for degeneracies in optical modes to be broken. This can occur through external factors such as applying pressure or changing the temperature of the solid. By altering the symmetry of the solid, the degeneracy in its optical modes can be broken.

5. How do degeneracies in optical modes impact the thermal properties of a solid?

Degeneracies in optical modes can have a significant impact on the thermal properties of a solid. They can affect the heat capacity, thermal conductivity, and thermal expansion of the solid. Understanding and controlling degeneracies in optical modes is crucial in developing materials with desired thermal properties for various applications.