Degree of Freedom (Kutzbach Criterion)

In summary: This can also be explained by the equation M=6(n-1-j)+∑fi-Ʃfp, where n=7, j=6, fi=6, and fp=2. In summary, the mechanism has 4 degrees of freedom due to a redundant joint, as seen in the attached diagram.
unknown619a

Homework Statement

To figure out the degree of freedom of a mechanism in 3D space. The resulting diagram is in the attachment. It consists of 6 revolute joints and 1 prismatic joint. All joints act in the z-x plane besides joint 1 which revolves around the z axis (i.e moves the mechanism into the y plane)

Homework Equations

M=6(n-1-j)+∑fi-Ʃfp
n = number of links
j= number of joints
fi= Total degree of freedom of the joints
fp= Reduandant/idle degree of freedom

The Attempt at a Solution

with n=7 and j=6 and fi=6 i get 6 degree of freedom. Even though i know the answer should be 4 degree of freedom which means that fp=2 however i do not know how to explain this which i am required to do. My initial thoughts were to say that since joints 2 and 4 both provide the same motion that one of them is redundant. Am i on the right track. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Image (27).jpg
    Image (27).jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 684
Physics news on Phys.org
. ![enter image description here][1]Since there are 6 revolute joints and 1 prismatic joint, the total degree of freedom is 6(6-1-6)+6=6. However, since joints 2 and 4 provide the same motion, one of them is redundant. Therefore, the actual degree of freedom is 6-2=4.

Related to Degree of Freedom (Kutzbach Criterion)

What is the Degree of Freedom (Kutzbach Criterion)?

The Degree of Freedom, also known as the Kutzbach Criterion, is a mathematical concept used in structural analysis to determine the number of independent parameters that can affect the stability of a structure. It is used to determine the number of support reactions needed to keep a structure in equilibrium.

How is the Degree of Freedom calculated?

The Degree of Freedom is calculated by subtracting the number of kinematic constraints from the total number of degrees of freedom of a structure. Kinematic constraints include supports, hinges, and other connections that restrict the movement of a structure. The remaining degrees of freedom represent the number of independent movements or rotations a structure can undergo.

Why is the Degree of Freedom important in structural analysis?

The Degree of Freedom is important because it helps determine the stability of a structure. A structure with too few support reactions may be unstable and collapse under certain loads, while a structure with too many support reactions may be overconstrained and unable to move or rotate as intended.

What is the difference between static and kinematic degrees of freedom?

Static degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent forces or moments that can be applied to a structure, while kinematic degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent movements or rotations a structure can undergo. The Kutzbach Criterion takes into account both types of degrees of freedom to determine the overall stability of a structure.

Can the Degree of Freedom be negative?

No, the Degree of Freedom cannot be negative. It is a positive integer that represents the number of independent parameters affecting a structure's stability. If the calculated value is negative, it indicates that the structure is overconstrained and cannot move as intended.