Density of states in 3d

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    My book gives a treatment of this problem for crystal vibrations, but I don't really understand it. It says: There is one allowed value of K per volume (2[itex]\pi[/itex]/L)3. But at the same time it has just shown that Kx,Ky,Kz can take values ±2[itex]\pi[/itex]/L which would certainly lead to more combinations of Kx,Ky,Kz within the volume confined by (2[itex]\pi[/itex]/L)3. What am I misunderstanding.
    Also: applying periodic boundary conditions yields the condition that Kx,Ky,Kz=±n2[itex]\pi[/itex]/L, while fixed ends yielded K=n[itex]\pi[/itex]/L, but my book says the two approaches yield identical results. How is that??

Attached Files:

• ds.png
      ds.png
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2
    if you read the sentence without pausing, the meaning is slightly different.
    "There is one allowed value of K per volume , for each polarization and for each branch."
    so there are multiple K values allowed per volume

4. Oct 7, 2013 #3
    Well in this context, what does the word branch refer to? Different combinations of Kx,Ky,Kz?

5. Oct 8, 2013 #4
    No, same combination of kx,ky,kz may correspond to different states with different energies.
    Look at the acoustic and optic branch in a 1D chain with two types of atoms. This is the simplest example of "branches".
    Here for each k there are two energies (or frequencies).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted