Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of states in Fermi's golden rule

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    Fermi's golden rule contains a term that is the density of the final states ##\rho(E_{final})##. For my problem we have no time depending potentials so that's the same as ##\rho(E_{initial})##.

If I understand the definition of ##\rho## correctly, it's the number of states in an interval ##[E_{f},E{f}+dE]## divided by ##dE## which just gives ##dN/dE##.

However... what if there are infinite different states in this interval?

Example:

A -> B + C + D

The final wavefunction will be a three particle wavefunction that will be able to distribute any final energy ##E_f## in an infinite number of ways among the different particles ##B,C,D##. This would mean that ##\rho## is infinite here.

What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

You are missing nothing. You could do a box quantization, i.e. assume that the particles are trapped in a large box, so that the states become discrete. In the limit that the box becomes infinitely large, you recover the continuum. Note that the probability amplitude of a single state will also scale like 1/sqrt V where V is the box volume. Hence the coupling to the states will also decrease so that the final rate will remain finite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook