Dependency of electrolyte conductivity to temperature?

In summary, the conductivity of electrolytes generally increases with temperature due to the increase in collision between charged ions, which speeds up the reaction time and leads to better conductivity. However, there is no universal relationship and it can vary depending on the specific electrolyte and temperature range.
thisnameowns
Hi, I'm new here.

As I was designing my IB lab, this idea popped in my head: Although the electrical conductivity of metals (and other solids) decrease as temperature rises, what about electrolytes?

For all I know, electrolytes conduct electricity by charged ions, which react with both electrodes, conducting electricity. As I've learned in my chemistry class, a higher temperature means more collision between these ions, speeding up reaction time.

All this led me to think that electrolytes would conduct electricity better as temperature rises. I would really appreciate it if you guys can verify whether this is plausible as I do not want to design a pointless lab.

Hi, I'm new here.

As I was designing my IB lab, this idea popped in my head: Although the electrical conductivity of metals (and other solids) decrease as temperature rises, what about electrolytes?

For all I know, electrolytes conduct electricity by charged ions, which react with both electrodes, conducting electricity. As I've learned in my chemistry class, a higher temperature means more collision between these ions, speeding up reaction time.

All this led me to think that electrolytes would conduct electricity better as temperature rises. I would really appreciate it if you guys can verify whether this is plausible or am I totally off.

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conductivity of the solution and speed at which charge moves through the phase boundary are two separate things, I have a feeling you are trying to mix them - don't.

But you are right that typically conductivity of the solutions increases with the temperature.

--

thanks for responding. I was indeed mixing up the two as I thought the faster/easier the charges move the more conductive a substance is.

As that's not the case, can you explain why conductivity of electrolytes would increase as temperature increases? Also, I'd like to know wether this is a directly porportional (linear) relationship (over a limited temp. range), inversely proportional relationship, or some more exotic variant (power, polynomial, etc).

thisnameowns said:
thanks for responding. I was indeed mixing up the two as I thought the faster/easier the charges move the more conductive a substance is.

Actually that's correct - but that's when the charge moves in bulk of the solution. Whatever happens at the electrodes doesn't matter. You must misunderstood my previous post - phase boundary is where the electrode (usually solid) meets with the solution (usually liquid). You have mentioned electrons entering the solution at the electrodes in our original post, that's the part I was referring to.

As that's not the case, can you explain why conductivity of electrolytes would increase as temperature increases? Also, I'd like to know wether this is a directly porportional (linear) relationship (over a limited temp. range), inversely proportional relationship, or some more exotic variant (power, polynomial, etc).

There is no universal law describing the dependence. Sometimes it is linear, sometimes it can be nicely approximated by 2nd or 3rd degree polynomial.

for your help!

Hello, and welcome! Your question about the dependency of electrolyte conductivity to temperature is a valid and interesting one. You are correct in your understanding that electrolytes conduct electricity through charged ions reacting with electrodes. However, the relationship between temperature and electrolyte conductivity is not as straightforward as you may think.

While it is true that higher temperatures can lead to increased ion collisions and faster reaction times, it can also have other effects on the electrolyte solution itself. For example, at higher temperatures, the molecules in the solution may have more energy and move more quickly, leading to increased ion movement and therefore increased conductivity. On the other hand, higher temperatures can also cause the electrolyte solution to evaporate more quickly, reducing the number of ions available to conduct electricity and decreasing conductivity.

In addition, the type of electrolyte and its concentration can also affect the relationship between temperature and conductivity. Some electrolytes may have a higher conductivity at higher temperatures, while others may have a lower conductivity.

Therefore, it is important to carefully design your lab and consider all of these factors when investigating the dependency of electrolyte conductivity to temperature. It may also be helpful to consult with your chemistry teacher or other experts in the field for guidance and to ensure that your experiment is well-designed and meaningful.

Good luck with your lab and your future scientific endeavors!

1. What is electrolyte conductivity?

Electrolyte conductivity refers to the ability of an electrolyte solution to conduct electricity. This is due to the presence of positively and negatively charged ions in the solution, which can move and carry electric current.

2. How does temperature affect electrolyte conductivity?

As temperature increases, the conductivity of an electrolyte solution also increases. This is because higher temperatures cause the ions to move more quickly and freely, increasing the rate of electron transfer and therefore conductivity.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and electrolyte conductivity?

The relationship between temperature and electrolyte conductivity is directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, so does the conductivity, and vice versa.

4. Why is it important to understand the dependency of electrolyte conductivity to temperature?

Understanding this dependency is important in various industries, such as battery technology and chemical processes, where precise control of electrolyte conductivity is crucial. It also helps in the development of more efficient and reliable electrolyte solutions.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect electrolyte conductivity besides temperature?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect electrolyte conductivity, such as concentration and type of electrolyte, pressure, and presence of impurities. These factors can also interact with temperature to further influence conductivity.