Dependent source parallel an inductor with a sinusoidal source

In summary, an independent source with a forcing function modeled by cos(500t) is in series with an 100 ohm resistor. A dependent (current controlled) source is placed across the remaining resistor terminal and ground. A 0.3mH inductor is in parallel with the dependent source. The value of the dependent source is 0.2 multiplied by the inductor current. Through various attempts at solving the circuit using KVL and KCL, it was found that the dependent source can be modeled as an inductor in parallel with the existing inductor. By assuming a solution for the inductor current and substituting it into the equation, the values for A and B were found to be (12.5 x
Basher
an independent source with a forcing function modeled by cos(500t) is in series with an 100 ohm resistor. A dependent (current controlled) source is placed across the remaining resistor terminal and ground. A 0.3mH inductor is in parallel with the dependent source. The value of the dependent source is 0.2 multiplied by the inductor current.

now i have tried many attempts.I've tried applying KVL around the outer loop giving me a standard first order linear DE Li' + 80i = cos(500t). I've tried KCL, giving me a integro-differential equation. This was pretty much the same DE after i differentiated through.

If i try to remove the inductor that means the dependent source goes, so i can't use thevenin's theorem. There has to be a simplified way. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the dependent current source. It has the same voltage across it as the inductor. It's current behaves like the current through an inductor so what can you replace it with? Then simplify the circuit.

Basher said:
an independent source with a forcing function modeled by cos(500t) is in series with an 100 ohm resistor. A dependent (current controlled) source is placed across the remaining resistor terminal and ground. A 0.3mH inductor is in parallel with the dependent source. The value of the dependent source is 0.2 multiplied by the inductor current.

now i have tried many attempts.I've tried applying KVL around the outer loop giving me a standard first order linear DE Li' + 80i = cos(500t). I've tried KCL, giving me a integro-differential equation. This was pretty much the same DE after i differentiated through.

If i try to remove the inductor that means the dependent source goes, so i can't use thevenin's theorem. There has to be a simplified way. please help

What is it you need to solve for? Some particular voltage or current?

Hey gneill.I'm solving for the inductor current IL. The current source is 0.2IL and i should have mentioned before the dependent current flows in the opposite direction to the inductor current.

Hello CWatters. Are you suggesting that I can model the dependent source as an inductor parallel to the other inductor?

Basher said:
Hey gneill.I'm solving for the inductor current IL. The current source is 0.2IL and i should have mentioned before the dependent current flows in the opposite direction to the inductor current.

Hello CWatters. Are you suggesting that I can model the dependent source as an inductor parallel to the other inductor?

The voltage source has a fixed frequency. You don't need to write the full differential equations. Are you familiar with using Phasors and complex impedance?

yeah, we are learning phasors and impedance soon. I've just started to solve basic inductive circuits by replacing the source with a complex forcing function. I think the person who wrote the question wants us to go through the hard way of solving it, so that when we do learn phasors, we can compare the two methods.

here is the cct diagram with the DE. I didn't show the DE solution because it would have been too much work to upload

Attachments

• sc0000.pdf
    449.9 KB · Views: 252
Basher said:
here is the cct diagram with the DE. I didn't show the DE solution because it would have been too much work to upload

So to move forward with this, assume a solution for the inductor current iL(t), differentiate it, and substitute iL(t) and i'L(t) back into your last equation. What would be a good guess at the form of the solution iL(t)?

had to sign in with a different account. So the form will be iL = Acos(500t) + Bsin(500t).

I substituted this back in and solved for iL to get A = (12.5 x 10^-3)
B = (23.43 x 10^-6).

But the answer in the book is 5.88cos(500t - 61.9°). {which isn't equivalent to my answer}

This is why i have a problem in the first place. Hence I'm questioning the logic I used in deducing the DE and also in solving it

Basher1 said:
had to sign in with a different account. So the form will be iL = Acos(500t) + Bsin(500t).

B = (23.43 x 10^-6).

But the answer in the book is 5.88cos(500t - 61.9°). {which isn't equivalent to my answer}

This is why i have a problem in the first place. Hence I'm questioning the logic I used in deducing the DE and also in solving it

Your result looks fine to me (although I believe that the B term should be negative; you might want to recheck your math). It maybe that there's a mistake in the book's answer key. It's been known to happen.

Basher1 said:

B = (23.43 x 10^-6).

But the answer in the book is 5.88cos(500t - 61.9°). {which isn't equivalent to my answer
At 500 rad/sec that 0.3mH inductor has an impedance of 0.15Ω. So that 100Ω resistor will dominate the scene, and current angle will be very close to 0.

▸ Try solving with the resistor set to 100mΩ.

gneill said:
Your result looks fine to me (although I believe that the B term should be negative; you might want to recheck your math). It maybe that there's a mistake in the book's answer key. It's been known to happen.

Ah yes, i did notice that after. thank you.

NascentOxygen said:
At 500 rad/sec that 0.3mH inductor has an impedance of 0.15Ω. So that 100Ω resistor will dominate the scene, and current angle will be very close to 0.

▸ Try solving with the resistor set to 100mΩ.

Yes I found that with resistor set to 80mΩ that the answer is perfect. although that value for a resistor seems unlikely somehow.

I think they may have made a mistake

thank you CWatters, gneill, berkeman and NascentOxygen

Basher1 said:
Yes I found that with resistor set to 80mΩ that the answer is perfect. although that value for a resistor seems unlikely somehow.

I think they may have made a mistake

Not necessarily; it might for example represent the resistance of the wire leads from the power source to the load if the circuit was meant to represent some 'real life' device.

That is true. Thankyou for the help guys

Related to Dependent source parallel an inductor with a sinusoidal source

What is a dependent source parallel to an inductor with a sinusoidal source?

A dependent source parallel to an inductor with a sinusoidal source is a circuit element that combines the behavior of an inductor with a sinusoidal voltage or current source. The dependent source is controlled by another variable in the circuit, such as the current or voltage across the inductor.

How do you calculate the current and voltage in a dependent source parallel to an inductor with a sinusoidal source?

The current and voltage in a dependent source parallel to an inductor with a sinusoidal source can be calculated using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. The current can be found by dividing the voltage of the sinusoidal source by the total impedance of the circuit, which includes the inductor and any other components. The voltage can be found by multiplying the current by the impedance of the dependent source.

What is the phase relationship between the voltage and current in a dependent source parallel to an inductor with a sinusoidal source?

The voltage and current in a dependent source parallel to an inductor with a sinusoidal source have a 90 degree phase difference. This means that when the voltage is at its maximum, the current is at its minimum, and vice versa.

How does changing the value of the dependent source affect the behavior of the circuit?

Changing the value of the dependent source can have a significant impact on the behavior of the circuit. Depending on the type of dependent source (voltage-controlled or current-controlled), the change in its value can alter the current and voltage throughout the circuit. It is important to carefully consider the effects of changing the dependent source when designing a circuit.

What are some real-world applications of a dependent source parallel to an inductor with a sinusoidal source?

This type of circuit element is commonly used in AC power supplies and filters, where a sinusoidal voltage source is needed to power a device or filter out certain frequencies. It can also be used in oscillator circuits and frequency converters, among other applications.