Derivative of Complex Functions: Cauchy-Riemann and Quotient Rule

In summary, in order to find the derivative of x^3 + i(1-y)^3 and \frac{1}{z^2 + 1}, you need to use Cauchy-Riemann in the first expression, while not in the second. The attempt at a solution involved multiplying by the conjugate to simplify the expression, resulting in a challenging expression that required further steps to solve correctly. The conversation also included a discussion on terminology and clarification of steps taken.
soopo

Homework Statement

Why do you need to use Cauchy-Riemann in the derivate of [itex] x^3 + i(1-y)^3[/itex], while not in the derivate of [itex] \frac { 1 } {z^2 + 1}[/itex] in using the quotient rule?

where z = x + iy.

I derivated the first expression implicitly in the exam which resulted in zero points of the exercise.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would derivate the latter by expanding the denominator such that

[tex] \frac{1} { (x+iy)^2 +1} =...= \frac {x^2 - y^2 +1} {x^4 + y^4 - 6x^2 y^2 +1} - \frac {2xyi} {x^4 + y^4 -6x^2 y^2 +1} [/tex]

and then derivate as real and then as complex.
The expression is rather challenging at the moment.
I am not sure what is the best way to derivate the latter statement correctly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that to get:
[tex]\frac{1}{ (x+iy)^2 +1} =...= \frac{x^2 - y^2 +1}{x^4 + y^4 - 6x^2 y^2 +1} - \frac{2xy}{x^4 + y^4 -6x^2 y^2 +1}[/tex]

you multiplied by the conjugate, so you multiplied top and bottom by:
[x^{2}-y^{2}+1]-2xyi
right?

if that's right, i don't agree with what you got. can you please show one more intermediate step?

sara_87 said:
I'm guessing that to get:
[tex]\frac{1}{ (x+iy)^2 +1} =...= \frac{x^2 - y^2 +1}{x^4 + y^4 - 6x^2 y^2 +1} - \frac{2xy}{x^4 + y^4 -6x^2 y^2 +1}[/tex]

you multiplied by the conjugate, so you multiplied top and bottom by:
[x^{2}-y^{2}+1]-2xyi
right?

if that's right, i don't agree with what you got. can you please show one more intermediate step?

I did multiply by the conjugate.

The denominator is

[tex] (x + iy)^2 +1 = x^2 + 2xyi -y^2 +1 [/tex]
[tex] = (x^2 - y^2 +1) + 2xyi [/tex]

Multiplying by the conjugate

[tex] \frac{1} { (x^2 - y^2 +1) + 2xyi } = \frac { (x^2 - y^2 +1) - 2xyi } { (x^2 - y^2 +1)^2 + (2xy)^2 } [/tex]

Let [itex] A = x^2 - y^2 [/itex]. Considering the denominator
[tex] (A +1)^2 = A^2 +2A +1 [/tex]
[tex] = (x^2 - y^2)^2 + 2(x^2 - y^2) +1 [/tex]
[tex] = x^4 - 2x^2 y^2 + y^4 + 2x^2 - 2y^2 +1 [/tex]

Making the projection: [itex]B |-> B + (2xy)^2[/itex], we get for the denominator

[tex] x^4 + y^4 + 2x^2 -2y^2 +1 [/tex],

which is the same denominator as in my question.

The numerator is simply the conjugate [itex] (x^2 - y^2 +1) - 2xyi [/itex].

you mean, making the projection;
we get for the denominator:

[tex]B+(2xy)^{2}=x^4-2x^2y^2+y^4+2x^2-2y^2+1+4x^2y^2=x^4+2x^2y^2+y^4+2x^2-2y^2+1[/tex]

?

sara_87 said:
you mean, making the projection;
we get for the denominator:

[tex]B+(2xy)^{2}=x^4-2x^2y^2+y^4+2x^2-2y^2+1+4x^2y^2=x^4+2x^2y^2+y^4+2x^2-2y^2+1[/tex]

?

Yes, I mean what you say.
I did not use apparently the term "projection" correctly.
Perhaps, a more appropriate term would be a mapping or simply a plus between the two.

1. What is the definition of a derivative of a complex number?

A derivative of a complex number is the rate of change of a function with respect to a complex variable. It is a complex number itself, and is calculated using the limit of the difference quotient as the complex variable approaches a specific value.

2. How is the derivative of a complex number calculated?

The derivative of a complex number is calculated using the same rules and formulas as the derivative of a real number. The only difference is that the complex variable is considered to be a single variable, rather than two separate variables for the real and imaginary parts.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the derivative of a complex number?

The geometric interpretation of the derivative of a complex number is that it represents the slope of the tangent line to a curve in the complex plane at a specific point. This slope can be thought of as the rate of change of the complex number as the complex variable changes.

4. Can the derivative of a complex number be a complex number itself?

Yes, the derivative of a complex number can be a complex number. This is because the complex number itself is a combination of a real and imaginary part, and the derivative takes into account the rate of change of both parts.

5. What are some applications of the derivative of complex numbers?

The derivative of complex numbers is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of systems that involve complex numbers, such as electric circuits and signal processing. It is also used in optimization problems and to study the behavior of complex functions.