Derivation Constants/Rate of Change

In summary, the Laplace transform of the equation for the concentration difference at output is given by:It's all written out on Word so I have attached the relevant work. I know the disturbance and have done a general transform but I can't finish it and am assuming I am going wrong with cancelling the g(0) and g'(0) values because I keep getting the same answers otherwise.Maybe this will help:$$\frac{s+2a}{(s+a)^2+w^2}=\frac{(s+a)}{(s+a)^2+w^2}+\frac{a}{w}\frac{w}{(s+a)^2+
rosaliexi
Hi, I'm working on a process control question about a tank system at steady state. The part I'm having problems with is where I have derived a second order differential equation to model the system and have replaced the concentrations with derivation constants in that :
Actual Concentration at output (Ca) - Ideal Concentration at output (Cas) = Difference in Concentration at Output (Ca*), etc.
What I am struggling with is the Laplace transform of the equation; I need to know the value of Ca* and dCa*/dt at time = zero. To me, both will be zero, as at steady state Ca = Cas since the system has been running for a period of time. No information is given about this in the question that I can figure out, but I have done the transform several times and I can't get it to work.
Any help would be brilliant.
Thanks,
Rosie

Engineering news on Phys.org
rosaliexi said:
Hi, I'm working on a process control question about a tank system at steady state. The part I'm having problems with is where I have derived a second order differential equation to model the system and have replaced the concentrations with derivation constants in that :
Actual Concentration at output (Ca) - Ideal Concentration at output (Cas) = Difference in Concentration at Output (Ca*), etc.
What I am struggling with is the Laplace transform of the equation; I need to know the value of Ca* and dCa*/dt at time = zero. To me, both will be zero, as at steady state Ca = Cas since the system has been running for a period of time. No information is given about this in the question that I can figure out, but I have done the transform several times and I can't get it to work.
Any help would be brilliant.
Thanks,
Rosie
Show us more details of what you have done. Even if the system is at steady state to begin with, disturbances will upset the steady state, and these forcings must be included in your analysis and in your Laplace Transform.

Chestermiller said:
Show us more details of what you have done. Even if the system is at steady state to begin with, disturbances will upset the steady state, and these forcings must be included in your analysis and in your Laplace Transform.

It's all written out on Word so I have attached the relevant work. I know the disturbance and have done a general transform but I can't finish it and am assuming I am going wrong with cancelling the g(0) and g'(0) values because I keep getting the same answers otherwise.

Attachments

• Laplace Transform.docx
    16 KB · Views: 383
Maybe this will help:

$$\frac{s+2a}{(s+a)^2+w^2}=\frac{(s+a)}{(s+a)^2+w^2}+\frac{a}{w}\frac{w}{(s+a)^2+w^2}$$

Ohhhh of course! Thank you, that's solved all my problems :D

What is a derivation constant?

A derivation constant is a numerical value that is added to a function's derivative in order to account for any unknown or missing information. It is typically denoted by the letter "C" and is often used in the process of finding an indefinite integral.

How is the derivation constant related to the rate of change?

The derivation constant is related to the rate of change because it represents the initial or starting value of the function's derivative. In other words, it is the value of the derivative when the independent variable is equal to zero, and thus it affects the overall rate of change of the function.

Why is it important to consider the derivation constant when calculating the rate of change?

Considering the derivation constant is important because it can significantly alter the value of the derivative and therefore the rate of change of a function. It is crucial in accurately representing the behavior of a function and making predictions based on its rate of change.

How can the derivation constant be determined?

The derivation constant can be determined by using known information about the function, such as its initial or boundary conditions, and plugging it into the derivative equation. It can also be found by evaluating the derivative at a specific point and solving for the constant value.

Can the derivation constant be negative or zero?

Yes, the derivation constant can be negative or zero. It simply represents a constant value that is added to the derivative, so it can take on any numerical value. However, depending on the function and its initial conditions, the derivation constant may need to be positive in order for the derivative and rate of change to make sense.