Derivation of Lorentz invariant

In summary, the conversation discusses a justification for the formula x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2 - c^2t'^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - c^2t^2, which is attributed to Einstein. The argument involves the idea that ds'2 = ds2 for light and the reasoning for this form is based on homogeneity and isotropy of space and homogeneity of time. The conversation also mentions a way to prove this formula for the finite case by integrating.
ralqs
Some time ago, I came across a nice justification (by Einstein IIRC) for the formula [tex]x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2 - c^2t'^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - c^2t^2[/tex].

The argument went something like this:
(1) [tex]x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2 - c^2t'^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - c^2t^2 = 0[/tex] for light.
(2) *reasoning I forget*, therefore [tex]x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2 - c^2t'^2 = \sigma(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - c^2t^2)[/tex]
(3) [tex]y'^2 = y^2 [/tex], so [tex]\sigma = 1[/tex].

I can't remember or deduce the argument for step 2. I'm guessing it came down to some argument about linearity...does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The argument is (ds')^2=f(p)ds^2+C

Where f(p) is some function of space, velocity, and time. The reason we can expect this form is that we can expect ds to at least be an infinitesimal of the same order when we make a coordinate change. You can get rid of C by your point (1). You can further say that f(p) cannot depend on space and time because of homogeneity and isotropy of space and homogeneity of time. You can go another step and say that f(p) can then only depend on the absolute value of the relative velocity. For the last step, you can transform to and back from ds' to ds to see that (f(p))^2=1. You conclude therefore that f(p)=1 (I don't recall the argument for dropping the negative 1 option).

Hmmm, that only proves that ds'2 = ds2, which doesn't necessarily mean that (delta)s' = (delta)s.

At any rate, I figured out another way of proving it based on your idea, so thanks anyways!

To go to the finite case, you can simply integrate.

What is the Lorentz invariant?

The Lorentz invariant is a physical quantity that remains constant in all inertial reference frames. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is used to describe the symmetry of space and time.

What is the significance of the Lorentz invariant?

The Lorentz invariant is significant because it helps to explain the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It is also a key component in the equations of special relativity, which have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments.

How is the Lorentz invariant derived?

The Lorentz invariant is derived from the Lorentz transformation, which is a mathematical formula that describes how space and time coordinates change between different inertial reference frames. The invariant is found by taking the square root of the difference between the squared space and time coordinates in different frames.

What are the applications of the Lorentz invariant?

The Lorentz invariant is used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and relativity. It is also used in practical applications such as GPS technology and particle accelerators.

Can the Lorentz invariant be violated?

According to the principles of special relativity, the Lorentz invariant cannot be violated. However, there are some theories, such as certain interpretations of quantum mechanics, that suggest the possibility of tiny violations. However, these theories are still highly debated and have not been confirmed through experiments.