1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the area of a sphere formula.

1. Mar 12, 2005 #1
    Deduce the formula for the area of a sphere with ratio R. (I already know it is 4*pi*R^2)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2005 #2
    The volume of a ball is [tex]\frac{4}{3}{\pi}r^3[/tex] and the surface area of a ball is [tex]4{\pi}r^2[/tex]. The surface area is the derivative of the volume.

Jameson

4. Mar 12, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not really.The cube...:wink:

The simplest is:
    [tex] S=\iint dS=R^{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}d\varphi \int_{0}^{\pi} d\vartheta \ \sin\vartheta [/tex]

Daniel.

5. Mar 12, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How do you prove the volume of the ball is the one that u mentioned & how do you prove that the area of the 2-sphere is the derivative (wrt radius) of the volume of the 3-ball...?

Daniel.

6. Mar 12, 2005 #5
    Yes, I have to prove that the volume of a sphere is [tex]\frac{4}{3}{\pi}r^3[/tex], and that the surface area of a sphere is [tex]4{\pi}r^2[/tex], without using integrals.

7. Mar 12, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The volume of a sphere is zero...There's a giant thread here (i think in the "Calculus & Analysis" forum) bearing this meaningless name (the volume of a sphere),in which Saltydog,Mathwonk & Galileo give Archimede's rationale...

Daniel.

8. Mar 17, 2005 #7
    The volume of a sphere can be obtained without using integrals by remarking that the volume of a cylinder of radius r and height r is equal with the volume of a cone having the radius of the base r and the height r + the volume of a semisphere of radius r. If I remember well the demonstration involved the use of the principle of Cavalieri. So the volume of a semisphere is (2/3)*π*r3. But I do not think that the area of a sphere can be obtained without calculus, at least I do not think there is an easy (and exact) method.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  9. Mar 17, 2005 #8

uart

Science Advisor

I dont know of any method that doesn't rely on caculus, but the volume is a pretty easy "volume of rotation" integration. Just set up a hemi-sphere as the volume of rotation of the function y=+sqrt(r^2 - x^2) over x=[0..r].

dV = A dr can be obtained "by inspection".

10. Mar 17, 2005 #9
    missing calculus....integrals are good to solve such.

11. Mar 22, 2005 #10

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start from the equation y = sqr(x^2 - r) (r is a constant)
    Integrate it to get the surface of a circle, pi*r^2
    Then say you are putting a whole bunch of discs, with volume pi*r^2 * dx along the x axis with radius y = sqr(x^2 - r) to get this function:

Integral[-1 to 1]: sqr(x^2 - r)^2 * pi = pi*Integral[-1 to 1]: x^2 - r

Of course, you'd also need the proofs that a semi circle is defined by y = sqr(x^2 - r) and all the calculus ones.

12. Mar 23, 2005 #11

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Archimedes solved the problem of finding the area of a sphere with given radius.

I don't know how he did it, but I know it his solution counts as one of the most notable mathematical achievements.

13. Mar 23, 2005 #12

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whoops, my mistake, I meant to use the perimeter of a circle formula (2pi*r) * dx, which would give you the sum of the areas of the rounded edge of all the discs (which would approach sphere's area as dx -> 0)

14. Feb 17, 2009 #13
  15. Jun 1, 2011 #14
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?