1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the electric field from the potential

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1
    :confused: I am studying for a test and i can't figure out for the life of me how my book derived the solution for this problem I know it has to be basic i just dont see it...

An electric dipole consists of two charges of equal magnitude and opposite sign separated by a distance 2a... The dipole is along the x axis and is centered at the origin.
    calculate V and Ex if point P is located anywhere between the two charges.

I understand the concept of this, and have calculated V, which is [ (2*(Ke)*q*x) / ((a^2) - (x^2)) ] and i know how to start the problem of Ex...

Ex = - (dV/dx) = - [ (2*(Ke)*q*x) / ( (a^2) - (x^2) ) ....

But I can't remember or figure out for the life of me how they got

= - 2*(Ke)*q * [ { (a^2) + (x^2) } / { ( (a^2)-(x^2) )^2 } ]

Can Anyone please help? :D
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your potential should look something like this
    [tex]q \left( \frac {1}{ {a-x}} - \frac {1}{ {a+x}}\right)[/tex]
    so just combine the fractions.
  4. Sep 26, 2004 #3
    yes that is correct :D.. but i already got past that point and found the answer for the electric potential, V ... which was the sum of that equation...

and got (2KeqX) / ( a^2 - x^2) But that just gives me the potential... I needed to take it a step further and find the magnitude of the electric field from that... which is Ex ... which is = -dV/dx ... but i dont see how they derived the answer ...

= - 2*(Ke)*q * [ { (a^2) + (x^2) } / { ( (a^2)-(x^2) )^2 } ]

5. Sep 26, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Is your problem that you don't know how to take the derivative?
  6. Sep 28, 2004 #5
    You have to your the quotient rule!!!!
  7. Sep 28, 2004 #6
    Sorry, I mean : You have to use the quotient rule!!!
  8. Sep 28, 2004 #7
    Quotient Rule

Please see the attached file. You will see how the quotient rule is require to get that answer.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?