Derivative Help: Find Taylor's Method of Order 3

• Thread starter elle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation is about finding Taylor's method of order 3 for the differential equation dy/dx = x/1+y with the initial condition y(1) = 1. The original question is to find the method of degree 3, but the person is having trouble with differentiation for the second derivative. Another person suggests using separation of variables instead. The original person is confused about what is meant by "Taylor's method" and clarifies that they are looking for the terms in the Taylor series. The initial condition given is y(1) = 1, and the question is asking for y'(1).
elle
Derivative help please

Hi, can someone help me with the following question? The original question is to find Taylor's method of order 3 for the problem:

dy/dx = x/1+y

By following my notes I have worked out the answer for the first part of the question but I am having problems with the differentiation for the second derivative. Can anyone help?

Let f = x/1+y

df/dx = ( (1+y) - x dy/dx ) / (1+y)^2

substituting dy/dx by f:-

df/dx = ( (1+y) - x^2/(1+y)) / (1+y)^2

What would you get if you differentiate df/dx? I'm getting awfully confused with the many terms :confused: Do I use the quotient rule for this?

thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
No, this is not the way to go, you only complicate things!
I advise you to use separation of variables on this.
By the way, what do you mean by "Taylor's method"?

You did not mean just to compute the first few terms in the Taylor series, did you?

Well I'm actually just starting a course on the numerical methods of ordinary differential equations and I've just come across a question to find the Taylor method of degree 3 for the differential equation.

I've just been following notes provided by the lecturer and following the examples.

So use separation of variables? :confused: How will I start it off? The only time I used this method was for finding the particular solution of a DE...:confused:

What do you mean by "Taylor method"??

Do you mean to find terms in the "Taylor series"?

Yep find the terms.

And what is y(0)?

The initial condition given is y(1) = 1

Here is the question:

Find Taylor's method of order 3 for the problem:

dy/dx = x/1+y,

y(1) = 1

Last edited:
So, what is y'(1)?
(Hint: What does your diff.eq tell you?)

1. What is Taylor's method of order 3?

Taylor's method of order 3 is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. It is an extension of the Taylor series, which is a way of representing a function as an infinite sum of polynomial terms.

2. How is Taylor's method of order 3 calculated?

To calculate Taylor's method of order 3, you need to know the function you are approximating and its derivatives at a specific point. Then, you can use the formula:
f(x) ≈ f(a) + (x-a)f'(a) + \frac{(x-a)^2}{2!}f''(a) + \frac{(x-a)^3}{3!}f'''(a)

3. What is the purpose of using Taylor's method of order 3?

The purpose of using Taylor's method of order 3 is to approximate the value of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in situations where the function is difficult to evaluate or when only a limited amount of information about the function is known.

4. What is the difference between Taylor's method of order 3 and other approximation methods?

Compared to other approximation methods, Taylor's method of order 3 is more accurate as it takes into account higher order derivatives of the function. This allows for a better estimation of the function's value at a specific point.

5. Can Taylor's method of order 3 be used for any type of function?

Yes, Taylor's method of order 3 can be used for any type of function as long as its derivatives exist at the given point. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the complexity of the function and the number of derivatives that are known.