Derivative of 5x + (3x + √2x)^½: Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter ussjt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a given function using the chain rule. The original poster shares their approach and asks for help in identifying where they went wrong. Another commenter points out that the grouping of parentheses in the solution is incorrect and provides a hint for the correct approach. The conversation ends with a discussion about using LaTeX to format mathematical equations.
ussjt
Question:

Find the derivative of the function: https://webwork2.math.ohio-state.edu/courses/math151wi06sm/tmp/png/Hmwk4/126384/kopko.4-prob16image1.png

My answer:
9ebc755a.jpg

Can please someone tell me where I messed up.

Edit: i used that chain rule or something like that

So first I changed the equation into [5x+(3x+sqrt(2x))^.5]^.5

then I found the first derivative, so it was .5[5x+(3x+sqrt(2x))^.5]^-.5

Next I did it for 5x and the 1/2 power-> 5+.5(3x+sqrt(2x))^-.5

I did the same for the following 2 steps. I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can show us what you did step-by-step (i know, that's hard with square roots unfortunately), we can help you determine where you went wrong.

your brackets are messed up. The last (third) bracketed factor does not multiply everything, just the part that starts with 3x.

krab said:
your brackets are messed up. The last (third) bracketed factor does not multiply everything, just the part that starts with 3x.
which brackets?

sorry to bump the topic

but could someone please explain what bracket krab means.

ussjt said:
sorry to bump the topic

It may be quite impossible for us to guess your approach, and thus, we don't know where you went wrong. Now, may I ask you to post step by step solution, so that we can check it for you. :)
You don't have to LaTeX, or use MS Equation Editor, just jot down your steps in a paper, then use a scanner and post it here. :)
You can also learn how to LaTeX. There are three PDFs on the first post of that thread. The thread is a sticky in the Math & Science Tutorials board.

He means that the "inner derivatives" do not multiply the entire expression. The last bracket - which by the way is not correct - is not supposed to be multiplied with the entire expression. It has to be inside the second bracket.

EDIT: Explained better hopefully, without giving out too much of the solution.

Last edited:
ussjt said:
sorry to bump the topic

What is meant is that the grouping (where the parentheses are) is incorrect.

Hint:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sqrt{3x+\sqrt{2x}} \neq \left(3+\frac{.5}{\sqrt{2x}}\right)*2[/tex]

The 3rd big bracketed factor has to be INSIDE the bracket just ahead of it. IOW, it does not multiply the 5+ of the second big bracketed factor.

[tex] \frac{1}{2}(3x+(2x)^{1/2})^{1/2})^{-1/2}*(5+\frac{1}{2}(3x+(2x)^{1/2})^{-1/2}*(3+\frac{1}{2}(2x)^{-1/2}*2))[/tex] =

[tex]

\frac{20*\sqrt{x}*\sqrt{\sqrt{x}*(3*\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{2})}+6*\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{2}}{8*\sqrt{x}*\sqrt{\sqrt{x}*(3*\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{2})}*\sqrt{\sqrt{\sqrt{x}*(3*\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{2})}+5*x}}
[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. Why is it important to find the derivative of a function?

Finding the derivative of a function allows us to analyze how the function is changing over its domain. It also helps us solve optimization problems and model real-world phenomena.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, we use a set of rules and formulas, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. These rules help us find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts.

4. What is the step-by-step process for finding the derivative of 5x + (3x + √2x)^½?

The first step is to expand the expression using the power rule and simplify it. Then, apply the chain rule to find the derivative of the square root term. Finally, combine the two derivatives to get the final result.

5. Can you explain the concept of the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule used to find the derivative of composite functions, where one function is nested within another. It states that the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function is equal to the derivative of the composite function.