Derivative of y = cos(a^3 + x^3)

  • Thread starter Thread starter illjazz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 16K views
illjazz
Messages
59
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the derivative of the function y = cos(a^3 + x^3).


Homework Equations


- Chain rule
- Power rule


The Attempt at a Solution


This is driving me insane.. so here's what I have.

y = cos(a^3 + x^3)

y' = -sin(a^3 + x^3) * d/dx (a^3 + x^3)

y' = -sin(a^3 + x^3) * (3a^2 + 3x^2

y' = -(3a^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3)) - (3x^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3))

I would like to think that that's where this ends.. but my book claims the result is

y' = -(3x^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3))

How? Where the heck does that entire -(3a^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3)) term go!?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rocomath said:
Hence, dy/dx not dy/dx + dy/da!

Ah! Ok that makes sense on an intuitive level.. can you expand that a bit though? Does a simply turn into 0 and thus kill that whole term containing a as a factor?

Thanks!

Edit:
By the way.. I stay far, far away from the dy/dx notation wherever possible. I just don't quite understand it.. for instance, I cringe when I see this in my book:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

if

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}\neq0[/tex]

for example.. I much prefer something like

F'(x) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x).

Granted, the two examples are not equivalent for the purposes of comparison.. but it gets the point across. I suppose that explains why Leibnitz' notation throws me off :/
 
Last edited:
[tex]y'=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Means to take the derivative of y with respects to x. Basically, only take the derivative of terms that include x.

[tex]y=ax+a[/tex]

You could easily mistake this as product rule, but it's not! (but you could if you wanted to) Anything that does not have an x variable associated with it, is a constant.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=a[/tex]

or product rule (pointless)

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=a\frac{dy}{dx}x+x\frac{dy}{dx}a+\frac{dy}{dx}a=a\cdot1+x\cdot0+0=a[/tex]

[tex]y'=\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

Simply means to take the derivative of y with respects to t or time. You can use any variable you want.
 
illjazz said:

Homework Statement


Find the derivative of the function y = cos(a^3 + x^3).


Homework Equations


- Chain rule
- Power rule


The Attempt at a Solution


This is driving me insane.. so here's what I have.

y = cos(a^3 + x^3)

y' = -sin(a^3 + x^3) * d/dx (a^3 + x^3)

y' = -sin(a^3 + x^3) * (3a^2 + 3x^2)
No. d/dx(a^3+ x^3)= 3x^2. a^3 is a constant

y' = -(3a^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3)) - (3x^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3))

I would like to think that that's where this ends.. but my book claims the result is

y' = -(3x^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3))

How? Where the heck does that entire -(3a^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3)) term go!?
 
Sweet, that definitely helps :)

While we're here.. is it against the rules or anything to ask a second question about a new problem in the same thread? Seems like a bit of a waste to start a new thread just for this next one..

Here goes. If this is bad and frowned upon, let me know! (I understand, obviously, that as a general rule you don't want to do this.. but this one's so short I figure "what the hell"):

[tex]y=xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

I know the solution already, of course, but I'd appreciate a step by step "walkthrough".

I got as far as this:

[tex] y=xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

[tex] y'=x\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}\frac{d}{dx}x[/tex]

[tex] =xe^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}[/tex]

Also, can someone tell me why I can't seem to make a new line when writing tex? "\\" is supposed to do it.. but does not :/

Oh btw.. the reason for the last step above was the assumption that the following is true:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x[/tex]
 
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x[/tex] is true because the derivative of x is 1 (by power rule = derivative of x is 1 * x^(1-1)). If, in place of x, there was a function based on x (for example, 2x + 1), you would have e^(2x+1) multiplied by the derivative of the function, resulting in 2e^(2x+1) by the Chain Rule.

Having said that, there is a flaw in your walkthrough. The derivative of e^(-x^2) would be, by the combination of the Chain Rule and the Power Rule, would be -2xe^(-x^2). Hence, your final answer should come out to [tex]-2x^{2}e^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}[/tex].
 
illjazz said:
Sweet, that definitely helps :)

While we're here.. is it against the rules or anything to ask a second question about a new problem in the same thread? Seems like a bit of a waste to start a new thread just for this next one..
It's not "against the rules", but many people will not look at a thread when they know the initial question has been answered- so you may be ruducing the number of people who see your new question.

Here goes. If this is bad and frowned upon, let me know! (I understand, obviously, that as a general rule you don't want to do this.. but this one's so short I figure "what the hell"):

[tex]y=xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

I know the solution already, of course, but I'd appreciate a step by step "walkthrough".

I got as far as this:

[tex] y=xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

[tex] y'=x\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}\frac{d}{dx}x[/tex]

[tex] =xe^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}[/tex]

Also, can someone tell me why I can't seem to make a new line when writing tex? "\\" is supposed to do it.. but does not :/

Oh btw.. the reason for the last step above was the assumption that the following is true:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x[/tex]
Yes, that last line is true. But it is NOT true that
[tex]{d e^{x^2}}{dx}= e^{-x^2}[/tex]
You forgot the chain rule: multiply by the derivative of -x2.
 
Hello there:

Here is my solution, which matches your textbook's.

[tex]y = \cos(a^3 + x^3)[/tex]

Let: [tex]u = a^3 + x^3[/tex]

The Chain Rule: [tex]h'(x) = f'(g(x)) \times g'(x)[/tex]

Breaking the original equation down:

[tex]f(x) = \cos u[/tex], [tex]f'(x) = -\sin u[/tex]

[tex]g(x) = u = a^3 + x^3[/tex], [tex]g'(x) = 3x^2[/tex] (From the Product Rule)

Note: [tex]3a^2[/tex] is actually a constant due to the term [tex]a[/tex]. Recall that the derivative of any constant is 0.)

Compiling each function:

[tex]h'(x) = f'(g(x)) \times g'(x)[/tex]

[tex]h'(x) = f'(u) x 3x^2[/tex]

[tex]h'(x) = -\sin(a^3 + x^3)(3x^2)[/tex]

[tex]h'(x) = -3x^2 \sin(a^3 + x^3)[/tex]

Hope this helps.
 
kylera said:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x[/tex] is true because the derivative of x is 1 (by power rule = derivative of x is 1 * x^(1-1)). If, in place of x, there was a function based on x (for example, 2x + 1), you would have e^(2x+1) multiplied by the derivative of the function, resulting in 2e^(2x+1) by the Chain Rule.

Having said that, there is a flaw in your walkthrough. The derivative of e^(-x^2) would be, by the combination of the Chain Rule and the Power Rule, would be -2xe^(-x^2). Hence, your final answer should come out to [tex]-2x^{2}e^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}[/tex].
Thanks everyone. Your posts helped a lot! What threw me off, I believe, is that e's exponent had itself an exponent.. but what I need to remember specifically is the bold part quoted above!

Thanks again :)
 
I know this is probably really late, but I'd like to point out to rocomath his/her mistake in using the Leibniz notation: you should have used [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]. The first one means "take the derivative of" and the second means "the derivative of y with respect to x is".

Just being nitpicky. =]
 
adartsesirhc said:
I know this is probably really late, but I'd like to point out to rocomath his/her mistake in using the Leibniz notation: you should have used [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]. The first one means "take the derivative of" and the second means "the derivative of y with respect to x is".

Just being nitpicky. =]
And that actually helped me understand Leibniz a bit better! Thanks :)