Derivative of y = cos(a^3 + x^3)

• Thread starter illjazz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Sincerely,Andrew W. VehornIn summary, the derivative of the function y = cos(a^3 + x^3) is -3x^2 sin(a^3 + x^3), found using the chain rule and the power rule. The term 3a^2 is constant and therefore does not appear in the final answer.
illjazz

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the function y = cos(a^3 + x^3).

Homework Equations

- Chain rule
- Power rule

The Attempt at a Solution

This is driving me insane.. so here's what I have.

y = cos(a^3 + x^3)

y' = -sin(a^3 + x^3) * d/dx (a^3 + x^3)

y' = -sin(a^3 + x^3) * (3a^2 + 3x^2

y' = -(3a^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3)) - (3x^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3))

I would like to think that that's where this ends.. but my book claims the result is

y' = -(3x^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3))

How? Where the heck does that entire -(3a^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3)) term go!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hence, dy/dx not dy/dx + dy/da!

rocomath said:
Hence, dy/dx not dy/dx + dy/da!

Ah! Ok that makes sense on an intuitive level.. can you expand that a bit though? Does a simply turn into 0 and thus kill that whole term containing a as a factor?

Thanks!

Edit:
By the way.. I stay far, far away from the dy/dx notation wherever possible. I just don't quite understand it.. for instance, I cringe when I see this in my book:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

if

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}\neq0[/tex]

for example.. I much prefer something like

F'(x) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x).

Granted, the two examples are not equivalent for the purposes of comparison.. but it gets the point across. I suppose that explains why Leibnitz' notation throws me off :/

Last edited:
[tex]y'=\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Means to take the derivative of y with respects to x. Basically, only take the derivative of terms that include x.

[tex]y=ax+a[/tex]

You could easily mistake this as product rule, but it's not! (but you could if you wanted to) Anything that does not have an x variable associated with it, is a constant.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=a[/tex]

or product rule (pointless)

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=a\frac{dy}{dx}x+x\frac{dy}{dx}a+\frac{dy}{dx}a=a\cdot1+x\cdot0+0=a[/tex]

[tex]y'=\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

Simply means to take the derivative of y with respects to t or time. You can use any variable you want.

illjazz said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the function y = cos(a^3 + x^3).

Homework Equations

- Chain rule
- Power rule

The Attempt at a Solution

This is driving me insane.. so here's what I have.

y = cos(a^3 + x^3)

y' = -sin(a^3 + x^3) * d/dx (a^3 + x^3)

y' = -sin(a^3 + x^3) * (3a^2 + 3x^2)
No. d/dx(a^3+ x^3)= 3x^2. a^3 is a constant

y' = -(3a^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3)) - (3x^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3))

I would like to think that that's where this ends.. but my book claims the result is

y' = -(3x^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3))

How? Where the heck does that entire -(3a^2)(sin(a^3 + x^3)) term go!?

Sweet, that definitely helps :)

While we're here.. is it against the rules or anything to ask a second question about a new problem in the same thread? Seems like a bit of a waste to start a new thread just for this next one..

Here goes. If this is bad and frowned upon, let me know! (I understand, obviously, that as a general rule you don't want to do this.. but this one's so short I figure "what the hell"):

[tex]y=xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

I know the solution already, of course, but I'd appreciate a step by step "walkthrough".

I got as far as this:

[tex]
y=xe^{-x^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
y'=x\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}\frac{d}{dx}x
[/tex]

[tex]
=xe^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}
[/tex]

Also, can someone tell me why I can't seem to make a new line when writing tex? "\\" is supposed to do it.. but does not :/

Oh btw.. the reason for the last step above was the assumption that the following is true:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x[/tex] is true because the derivative of x is 1 (by power rule = derivative of x is 1 * x^(1-1)). If, in place of x, there was a function based on x (for example, 2x + 1), you would have e^(2x+1) multiplied by the derivative of the function, resulting in 2e^(2x+1) by the Chain Rule.

Having said that, there is a flaw in your walkthrough. The derivative of e^(-x^2) would be, by the combination of the Chain Rule and the Power Rule, would be -2xe^(-x^2). Hence, your final answer should come out to [tex]-2x^{2}e^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}[/tex].

illjazz said:
Sweet, that definitely helps :)

While we're here.. is it against the rules or anything to ask a second question about a new problem in the same thread? Seems like a bit of a waste to start a new thread just for this next one..
It's not "against the rules", but many people will not look at a thread when they know the initial question has been answered- so you may be ruducing the number of people who see your new question.

Here goes. If this is bad and frowned upon, let me know! (I understand, obviously, that as a general rule you don't want to do this.. but this one's so short I figure "what the hell"):

[tex]y=xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

I know the solution already, of course, but I'd appreciate a step by step "walkthrough".

I got as far as this:

[tex]
y=xe^{-x^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
y'=x\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}\frac{d}{dx}x
[/tex]

[tex]
=xe^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}
[/tex]

Also, can someone tell me why I can't seem to make a new line when writing tex? "\\" is supposed to do it.. but does not :/

Oh btw.. the reason for the last step above was the assumption that the following is true:

[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x[/tex]
Yes, that last line is true. But it is NOT true that
[tex]{d e^{x^2}}{dx}= e^{-x^2}[/tex]
You forgot the chain rule: multiply by the derivative of -x2.

Hello there:

Here is my solution, which matches your textbook's.

[tex] y = \cos(a^3 + x^3) [/tex]

Let: [tex] u = a^3 + x^3 [/tex]

The Chain Rule: [tex] h'(x) = f'(g(x)) \times g'(x) [/tex]

Breaking the original equation down:

[tex] f(x) = \cos u [/tex], [tex] f'(x) = -\sin u[/tex]

[tex] g(x) = u = a^3 + x^3 [/tex], [tex] g'(x) = 3x^2 [/tex] (From the Product Rule)

Note: [tex] 3a^2 [/tex] is actually a constant due to the term [tex] a [/tex]. Recall that the derivative of any constant is 0.)

Compiling each function:

[tex] h'(x) = f'(g(x)) \times g'(x) [/tex]

[tex] h'(x) = f'(u) x 3x^2 [/tex]

[tex] h'(x) = -\sin(a^3 + x^3)(3x^2) [/tex]

[tex] h'(x) = -3x^2 \sin(a^3 + x^3)[/tex]

Hope this helps.

kylera said:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^x=e^x[/tex] is true because the derivative of x is 1 (by power rule = derivative of x is 1 * x^(1-1)). If, in place of x, there was a function based on x (for example, 2x + 1), you would have e^(2x+1) multiplied by the derivative of the function, resulting in 2e^(2x+1) by the Chain Rule.

Having said that, there is a flaw in your walkthrough. The derivative of e^(-x^2) would be, by the combination of the Chain Rule and the Power Rule, would be -2xe^(-x^2). Hence, your final answer should come out to [tex]-2x^{2}e^{-x^2}+e^{-x^2}[/tex].
Thanks everyone. Your posts helped a lot! What threw me off, I believe, is that e's exponent had itself an exponent.. but what I need to remember specifically is the bold part quoted above!

Thanks again :)

I know this is probably really late, but I'd like to point out to rocomath his/her mistake in using the Leibniz notation: you should have used [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]. The first one means "take the derivative of" and the second means "the derivative of y with respect to x is".

Just being nitpicky. =]

adartsesirhc said:
I know this is probably really late, but I'd like to point out to rocomath his/her mistake in using the Leibniz notation: you should have used [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex], not [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]. The first one means "take the derivative of" and the second means "the derivative of y with respect to x is".

Just being nitpicky. =]
And that actually helped me understand Leibniz a bit better! Thanks :)

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It represents the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph.

What is the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function is another trigonometric function. In the case of y = cos(x), the derivative would be -sin(x).

How do you find the derivative of a composite function?

To find the derivative of a composite function, you can use the chain rule. In this case, the derivative of cos(a^3 + x^3) would be -3x^2sin(a^3 + x^3).

What is the derivative of a constant?

The derivative of a constant is always 0. In the case of y = cos(a^3 + x^3), the derivative would be 0 because a^3 is a constant value.

Why is the derivative of cos(x) negative sin(x)?

The negative sign in the derivative of cos(x) is due to the fact that the derivative measures the rate of change in the downward direction, while the sine function represents the vertical component of the unit circle. Therefore, the derivative of cos(x) is -sin(x) to account for this direction change.