1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative please check my solution

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

ln(cos5(3x4))

2. Relevant equations

chain rule:

y = f(g(h)

y' = f'(g(h) x g'(h) x h'

3. The attempt at a solution

y' = 1 / ((cos5(3x4)) x 5((cos4(3x4)) x -sin(3x4) x 12x3

=> -5sin(3x4)(12x3) / cos(3x4)

=> -60x3sin(3x4) / cos(3x4)

=> -60x3tan(3x4)

=>No further simplification that I can see

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    Why would you use x as multiplication when it's your variable...

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    Sorry :redface:
    I'll know not to next time.
    Thankyou

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    Maple confirms your answer :)

6. Jan 20, 2009 #5
    Thanks.

7. Jan 20, 2009 #6
    If you studied integrals you can always just integrate your answer and see if it's what you started with give or take a constant.

8. Jan 20, 2009 #7
    I'm just starting to learn very basic integration before I start the school year. I would not know where to start integrating that solution to check at this stage:frown: . Would you be able to explain a good approach to integrating it? Or should I post it as a problem after I've attempted it?

9. Jan 20, 2009 #8
    You should probably attempt it, there's a pretty basic u-subst. for this one

10. Jan 20, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have NEVER heard anyone suggesting that you use integration to check a differentiation. The reverse, yes. Don't do it. Differentiation is easy. Integration is hard. Sometimes even when you know the answer. If you want integration practice go ahead, but it's not a practical check. You are much more likely to make a mistake in the integration than the differentiation.

11. Jan 20, 2009 #10
    That may be true but this is a pretty simple integral :)

12. Jan 20, 2009 #11
    Regardless. I am going to practice more integration and eventually (hopefully) master it successfully. It is already proving to need more problem-solving skills than derivatives!

13. Jan 20, 2009 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

True, but then the differentiation isn't that hard either. I'm saying I don't recommend it as a general strategy. And I wouldn't worry the OP that being able to integrate is all that helpful in being able differentiate accurately.

14. Jan 20, 2009 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right you are.

15. Jan 20, 2009 #14
    I can't speak to that, I've always done it both ways (then again I always had Maple to check my answers also).

16. Jan 20, 2009 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is a factor. But why not just use Maple to differentiate it then?

17. Jan 20, 2009 #16
    You two seem two know what you're talking about so I'd like to ask this:

I have a book by Kaplan and Lewis called: "Calculus and Linear Algebra [combined edition]. It is quite old (1970).

Is that a good book in your opinion (assuming you know it or the authors works?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  18. Jan 20, 2009 #17
    Dick: because in my career sometimes I don't have the luxury of having Maple

Prime-factor: I've never heard of it, I used Stewart to learn Calc. 1-3

19. Jan 20, 2009 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know the book, either. Old ones aren't necessarily bad. Maple may be a luxury, but you don't need it. I went through my grad career using Mathematica. I was really quite hooked. Since I don't have people buying me CAS software anymore, I switched to Maxima. It's really pretty good. I can live with it. And it's FREE. But Prime-factor, if you do start using something like that, always make sure you know how to get the answer without the software, ok?

20. Jan 20, 2009 #19
    No problem there. I'm a firm believer in practicing it 100 times if I don't get the answer before using a calculator. I've fallen into that trap once before and never again!. That's why I have plenty of Sharpies and A4 paper at my desk at all times, I do practice everything I learn, plus I'm starting year 12 this year with 2 Maths Subjects, so I've basically learnt the stuff I'll need for next year (except integration) in a couple of months from watching online tutorials and reading and hundreds of A4 pages of practice:P.

21. Jan 20, 2009 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will do so fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?