Derivative of ln(cos5(3x4)): Using Chain Rule to Find Solution

• Thread starter prime-factor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Just remember: practice makes perfect. :)No problem there. I'm a firm believer in practicing it 100 times if I don't get the answer before using a calculator. I've fallen into that trap once before and never again!.In summary, Maple confirms your answer :)Thanks.
prime-factor

Homework Statement

ln(cos5(3x4))

Homework Equations

chain rule:

y = f(g(h)

y' = f'(g(h) x g'(h) x h'

The Attempt at a Solution

y' = 1 / ((cos5(3x4)) x 5((cos4(3x4)) x -sin(3x4) x 12x3

=> -5sin(3x4)(12x3) / cos(3x4)

=> -60x3sin(3x4) / cos(3x4)

=> -60x3tan(3x4)

=>No further simplification that I can see

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you use x as multiplication when it's your variable...

Sorry :redface:
I'll know not to next time.
Thankyou

Maple confirms your answer :)

Thanks.

If you studied integrals you can always just integrate your answer and see if it's what you started with give or take a constant.

I'm just starting to learn very basic integration before I start the school year. I would not know where to start integrating that solution to check at this stage:frown: . Would you be able to explain a good approach to integrating it? Or should I post it as a problem after I've attempted it?

You should probably attempt it, there's a pretty basic u-subst. for this one

I have NEVER heard anyone suggesting that you use integration to check a differentiation. The reverse, yes. Don't do it. Differentiation is easy. Integration is hard. Sometimes even when you know the answer. If you want integration practice go ahead, but it's not a practical check. You are much more likely to make a mistake in the integration than the differentiation.

That may be true but this is a pretty simple integral :)

Regardless. I am going to practice more integration and eventually (hopefully) master it successfully. It is already proving to need more problem-solving skills than derivatives!

NoMoreExams said:
That may be true but this is a pretty simple integral :)

True, but then the differentiation isn't that hard either. I'm saying I don't recommend it as a general strategy. And I wouldn't worry the OP that being able to integrate is all that helpful in being able differentiate accurately.

prime-factor said:
Regardless. I am going to practice more integration and eventually (hopefully) master it successfully. It is already proving to need more problem-solving skills than derivatives!

Right you are.

I can't speak to that, I've always done it both ways (then again I always had Maple to check my answers also).

NoMoreExams said:
I can't speak to that, I've always done it both ways (then again I always had Maple to check my answers also).

That is a factor. But why not just use Maple to differentiate it then?

You two seem two know what you're talking about so I'd like to ask this:

I have a book by Kaplan and Lewis called: "Calculus and Linear Algebra [combined edition]. It is quite old (1970).

Is that a good book in your opinion (assuming you know it or the authors works?

Last edited:
Dick: because in my career sometimes I don't have the luxury of having Maple

Prime-factor: I've never heard of it, I used Stewart to learn Calc. 1-3

I don't know the book, either. Old ones aren't necessarily bad. Maple may be a luxury, but you don't need it. I went through my grad career using Mathematica. I was really quite hooked. Since I don't have people buying me CAS software anymore, I switched to Maxima. It's really pretty good. I can live with it. And it's FREE. But Prime-factor, if you do start using something like that, always make sure you know how to get the answer without the software, ok?

No problem there. I'm a firm believer in practicing it 100 times if I don't get the answer before using a calculator. I've fallen into that trap once before and never again!. That's why I have plenty of Sharpies and A4 paper at my desk at all times, I do practice everything I learn, plus I'm starting year 12 this year with 2 Maths Subjects, so I've basically learned the stuff I'll need for next year (except integration) in a couple of months from watching online tutorials and reading and hundreds of A4 pages of practice:P.

You will do so fine.

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

2. How do you use the chain rule to find the derivative of ln(cos(5x^4))?

To use the chain rule, we first identify the outer function, ln(x), and the inner function, cos(5x^4). The derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, and the derivative of cos(5x^4) is -5sin(5x^4). Therefore, the derivative of ln(cos(5x^4)) is 1/cos(5x^4) * (-5sin(5x^4)).

3. What is the derivative of ln(cos(5x^4))?

The derivative of ln(cos(5x^4)) is 1/cos(5x^4) * (-5sin(5x^4)).

4. Can the chain rule be used to find the derivatives of other composite functions?

Yes, the chain rule can be used to find the derivatives of any composite function. It is a general rule that applies to all composite functions, not just ln(cos(5x^4)).

5. Are there any other methods for finding the derivative of ln(cos(5x^4))?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the derivative of ln(cos(5x^4)), such as using the product rule or the quotient rule. However, the chain rule is the most efficient and straightforward method for this particular function.