Proving Constant Function f from Derivative: f'(a)

In summary: C is some constant.In summary, we can prove that f is constant by considering f' and using the definition of the derivative to show that f'(x) = 0, which means that f(x) is constant.
tvguide123

Homework Statement

Suppose that |f(x) - f(y)| [tex]\leq[/tex] |x - y|n
for n > 1

Prove that f is constant by considering f '

Homework Equations

Well
f'(a) = limit as x->a [f(x) - f(a)]/[x-a]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how the derivative of "f" is going to show that "f" is constant since I cannot actually calculate the derivative.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated, this ones got me stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide both sides of the inequality by |x-y|, then take the limit as x -> y. Use your definition of the derivative on the LHS and evaluate the RHS in this limit. What does the result tell you?

Ok I tried doing that but I'm having trouble with the absolute value signs.
This is what I got but I'm not sure if the absolute value signs are in the right place for the LHS.

|f[x] - f[y] / x-y | is less than or equal to |x-y|^n-1

then i take limit as x->y for both sides.

Paying attention to the RHS. lim x->y |x-y|^n-1.
It seems like the limit of the RHS is approaching 0 which means that |f[x] - f[y] / x-y |is less than or equal to 0.

Hence f'(x) = 0 and thus f(x) is constant.

Would these steps be allowable and are my absolute value signs in the right place for the LHS.

Thanks for the quick reply Mute.

Correct! And your absolute signs are in the right place.

Hmm wait a minute.

f'(x) = limit as x->y [f(x) - f(y)]/[x-y]

is the formula for the derivative.

Does this formula still hold if [f(x) - f(y)]/[x-y] is in absolute value signs?

Last edited:
For any real-valued function g(x):

|g(x)| is always real-valued and positive so |g(x)| <= 0 then |g(x)| = 0

Also |g(x)| = 0 if and only if g(x) = 0

So if |f'(x)| = 0 then f'(x) = 0 so f(x) = C

1. What does it mean to prove a constant function from its derivative?

Proving a constant function from its derivative means showing that the function does not change over its domain. In other words, the derivative of the function is equal to 0 for all values of x.

2. How do you prove a constant function from its derivative?

To prove a constant function from its derivative, you need to use the definition of a derivative and the properties of constant functions. You can show that the derivative of the function is always equal to 0 by plugging in any value for x and showing that the result is 0.

3. Why is proving a constant function from its derivative important?

Proving a constant function from its derivative is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function over its entire domain. It also helps us identify when a function is constant, which can be useful in solving more complex problems.

4. Can a function have a constant derivative but not be a constant function?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a constant derivative but not be a constant function. This can happen when the function has different constant values for different intervals. In this case, the derivative would still be constant, but the function itself would not be.

5. What is an example of a function that has a constant derivative but is not a constant function?

An example of a function that has a constant derivative but is not a constant function is the piecewise function f(x) = 1 for x < 0 and f(x) = 2 for x ≥ 0. The derivative of this function is always 0, but the function itself is not constant since it takes on different values for different intervals.