Where are my mistakes in these derivative problems?

In summary, the conversation was about someone asking for help with derivatives and showing their work for various problems. The expert pointed out some errors in their work and gave them some tips on how to approach the problems. They also clarified some misunderstandings and provided a correct solution for one of the problems. The conversation ended with the person expressing their gratitude for the help and hoping to receive feedback on their other problems.
scorpa
Hey Everyone,

I cannot believe I am asking questions as stupid as this, but I know I am doing these wrong and want to correct my bad habits. My questions are on derivatives, something I used to be really good at, I'm hoping it will start to come back to me soon. Anyway here they are along with my work:

1) Differentiate square root2 *u + squareroot(3u)

For this one I used the product rule for the first section because you had root 2 multiplied by the constant 2, and for the second I just took the derivative as normal. I ended up getting an answer of:
(squareroot2 + u)/(3/2 square rootu). Sorry if this seems unclear, I don't know how to get the square root sign to show up on the computer.

2) Differentiate (u^-2 + u^-3)(u^5 - 2u^2)

For this I used to product rule of course and these were my steps:

=(u^-2+u^-3)(5u^4-4u) + (u^5-2u^2)(-2u^-3-3u^-4)
=3u^2-2u+2u^-2

I don't know where I went wrong on this one, or if I even did go wrong, but something just doesn't seem right to me.

3) y=(square root x-1)/(square root x+1)

For this one I'm not really sure how to go about showing my work on the computer so I will just write my answer. I used the quotient rule to get it.

y'=(-0.5x-x^-0.5)/(x^0.5+1)^2

Again, I do not know where I'm going wrong or if I did I'm just unsure of my answer.

4) f(x) = (ax+b)/(cx+d)

For this one I treated the a, c and d as constant values. Then I used the quotient rule to differentiate. My biggest problem with this one is that the answer seems to long to be right.
I think it might be a bit easier to show my work on this one:

=((cx+d)(x)-(ax+b)(x))/(cx+d)^2
=((x)(cx-ax+d-b))/(cx+d)^2

Thanks a lot for any help you can give guys, I know I can get this stuff eventually it just takes me awhile to get a good grasp of it sometimes. Sorry for my lack of work shown, I really don't know how to show it on the computer, and I was worried any work I did show would make it even more confusing. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite a lot of problems here, and I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time with me right now. I'll highlight some things I see.

Question 1:
Square root 2 should be treated as a constant a. Then the derivative of ax would be a due to the power rule. The derivative of terms summed together is their derivatives separately added together.

Question 2:
Your product rule looks fine. I think somewhere there your algebra failed you.

Question 3:
You may be getting confused due to the square roots. Replace the square root by the power representation ^-1/2, so square root (x+1) would be (x+1)^1/2. Keep in mind as well that 1/x = x^-1. You should use the chain rule in full form if you get confused easily.

u = f(x)
du = f'(x)dx
du/dx = f'(x)

dy/dx = du/dx x dy/du

Question 4:
I think you made a blunder when you did d/dx(ax + b ) = x. Wrong! The derivative is a! Redo the quotient rule keeping this in mind.

1) Ok, I really don't know what I was thinking for that first question. I changed my method and I got (2u^3/2+square root 3)/(2square rootu)

2) For the second I made an error in expanding out the brackets, my revised answer is 3u^2 + 2u^-2 + 2u

3) For this one I think you misunderstood the question due to my inability to write this out on the computer. I'll try writing it out again:

((square rootx)-1)/((square root x)+1)

4) Once again, I don't know what I was thinking here. My new answer now makes more sense to me, it is (da-bc)/(cx+d)^2

Well, I hope that fixes them, but I'm still unsure of my answers. If anyone could tell me whether I am on the right track or not I would really appreciate their efforts.

For 1 you mean [tex](\sqrt{2})u + \sqrt{3u}[/tex] right?

If so, then you must remember that the first part, square root of 2, is a constant, then for the second part you can do the chain rule.

For 2, you got the same answer I got. For this problem I would have been lazy and expanded the whole thing, and then take the derivative of each part.

Last edited:
Yes that is what I mean for question 1. I suppose the new answer I posted in the previous post is still wrong then? If so I don't really know how to go about fixing it.

Hmm, I guess I can not understand what your answer is.
I got: [tex]\sqrt{2} + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2\sqrt{u}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, I will try it again and see if I can manage to get what you did, there is more than likely a mistake in mine somewhere. Do my others looks ok now? Thanks again.

*edit* I'm wondering if part of the problem with our answers being different, is that I put everything under a common factor of 2squarerootu. I may still have made an error though, I'm going to have to check that out.

Last edited:
*****bump*****

Question 1's solution from mattmns is okay and your Question 4. I haven't verified the rest.

OK, I made a bit of an edit in one of my above posts but I'm not sure if that fixes the issue or not. Thanks again!

I just realized I made an extremely stupid mistake in the first question so that is now fixed. The others still need a bit of help though.

Related to Where are my mistakes in these derivative problems?

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a certain point. It is commonly used in calculus to analyze how a function behaves and to solve problems related to rates of change.

What are some common methods for solving derivative problems?

There are several methods for solving derivatives, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and implicit differentiation. These methods involve manipulating the original function using basic algebra and calculus rules to find the derivative.

How do I know when to use which method for solving a derivative problem?

The method used for solving a derivative problem depends on the form of the original function. For example, the power rule is used for functions with only a variable raised to a power, while the quotient rule is used for functions with a fraction. It is important to identify the form of the function and then apply the appropriate method.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving derivative problems?

One common mistake when solving derivative problems is forgetting to apply the chain rule when the function involves nested functions. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the product or quotient rule. It is important to carefully follow the steps for each method and to double check the solution for accuracy.

How can I check my answers when solving derivative problems?

One way to check your answer when solving derivative problems is to take the derivative of your solution and see if it matches the original function. Another method is to use a graphing calculator or software to graph both the original function and its derivative and compare the two graphs for accuracy.