Derive Hermite Polynomial Generating Function from Recurrence Relation

In summary, to derive the generating function for the Hermite polynomials, we use the recurrence relation and the summation properties of the polynomials to arrive at the equation $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}H_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t) = \exp(2tx - t^2)$, which gives us the generating function.
mathmajor314
I am not sure how to format in LaTeX; I apologize for that.

The Hermite polynomials Hn(x) (physicist's version) satisfy
the recurrence relation,
H_{n+1}(x) - 2xHn(x) + 2nH_{n-1}(x) = 0; H0(x) = 1 and H1(x) = 2x:
Use this to derive the generating function for the Hermite polynomials, exp(2tx-t^2).

So far, I have gotten to Sum(H_{n+1}*exp(t)) = Sum{H_{n}[2x*exp(t)-2t*exp(t)]}.

I know I need to then integrate this then use H0(x) = 1 and H1(x) = 2x to solve for the constant of integration but I'm not sure how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve for the generating function, start by multiplying both sides of the recurrence relation by an exponential factor exp(t): $$H_{n+1}(x) \cdot \exp(t) - 2xH_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t) + 2nH_{n-1}(x)\cdot\exp(t) = 0$$Now, use the summation properties of the Hermite polynomials to rewrite the equation as: $$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}H_{n+1}(x)\cdot\exp(t) - 2x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}H_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t) + 2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}nH_{n-1}(x)\cdot\exp(t) = 0$$The first and second term can be combined and simplified to: $$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}H_{n+1}(x)\cdot\exp(t)-2x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}H_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}H_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t) - 2x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}H_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t)$$Finally, use the initial conditions of the Hermite polynomials to get: $$\exp(t) -2x\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}H_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}H_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t) -2xH_0(x)\cdot\exp(t)$$ $$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}H_{n}(x)\cdot\exp(t) = \exp(2tx - t^2)$$Therefore, the generating function for the Hermite polynomials is $\exp(

Related to Derive Hermite Polynomial Generating Function from Recurrence Relation

1. What is the purpose of deriving the Hermite polynomial generating function from its recurrence relation?

The purpose of deriving the Hermite polynomial generating function from its recurrence relation is to have a closed form expression for calculating the values of the Hermite polynomials. This can make it easier to solve problems involving Hermite polynomials, such as in physics and engineering applications.

2. How does one derive the Hermite polynomial generating function?

The Hermite polynomial generating function can be derived using the recurrence relation for Hermite polynomials, which states that Hn+1(x) = 2xHn(x) - 2nHn-1(x), with H0(x) = 1 and H1(x) = 2x. By solving this recurrence relation using mathematical techniques, one can obtain the closed form expression for the generating function.

3. What is the closed form expression for the Hermite polynomial generating function?

The closed form expression for the Hermite polynomial generating function is given by f(x,t) = e2xt-t2, where t is a variable used in the recurrence relation.

4. How is the Hermite polynomial generating function used in solving problems?

The Hermite polynomial generating function is used in solving problems involving Hermite polynomials, such as finding solutions to differential equations, calculating probabilities in quantum mechanics, and solving problems in statistical mechanics. It allows for a simpler and more efficient way to obtain the values of Hermite polynomials compared to using the recurrence relation.

5. Are there any other methods for deriving the Hermite polynomial generating function?

Yes, there are other methods for deriving the Hermite polynomial generating function, such as using properties of generating functions and using the differential equation satisfied by the Hermite polynomials. However, using the recurrence relation is the most common and straightforward method for deriving the generating function.