1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving equations for pressure & number density for centrif

1. Feb 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider particles in a gas centrifuge. This device is used to separate gases of different molar mass by rotating a cylinder at high rates. Derive two equations: one for the pressure (P) and one for the particle number density (nv) as functions of M, r, w and T, where r is the radial distance from the center point and w is the angular frequency of the rotation. M and T are molar mass and temperature. Do this by applying Newton's 2^nd law to the circular motion of a segment of gas of mass delta(m) and width delta(r). Recall that centripetal acceleration is given by w^2 r and that the positive direction for r is radially outward from the center of the circle.

2. Relevant equations
    nv = n0 * e\^(m * r^2 * w^2 / (2 * k * T))
    Net Fr = (m * v^2)/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no clue what I'm supposed to do. I don't even know how I'm going to draw a FBD for this. I don't know what the pressure equation is supposed to look like, but I know the number density equation is supposed to look like this: nv = n0 * e\^(m * r^2 * w^2 / (2 * k * T)), where k is the boltzmann constant. I only know this because I was able to look online for this answer (though it did not explain how they derived this).

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2
    Er, I mean nv = n0 * e^(m * r^2 * w^2 / (2 * k * T)). This part may also be wrong, since I think it should be nv = n0 * e^(-m * r^2 * w^2 / (2 * k * T)) since it reminds me of the boltzmann factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted