Deriving fractional atomic coordination numbers

• Thread starter SSJ2
  • Start date
hi guys

i was wondering how the coordination numbers for the atomic positions of atoms in crystals such as NaCl are derived

...more specifically why is Na at (0,0,0) and Cl at (1/2,1/2,1/2) and not
(0,0,0) and (1/4,1/4,1/4)

of course this is in fractional coordinates

Answers and Replies

mathman
Science Advisor
hi guys

i was wondering how the coordination numbers for the atomic positions of atoms in crystals such as NaCl are derived

...more specifically why is Na at (0,0,0) and Cl at (1/2,1/2,1/2) and not
(0,0,0) and (1/4,1/4,1/4)

of course this is in fractional coordinates
What are the units?

why do the units matter.....NaCl has at halite structure....or the atomic positions of (0,0,0) and(.5,.5,.5) in fractional coordinates for the unit cell

maybe i didnt explain clearly enough.... let me try again

So I know that the NaCl unit cell is based on a FCC lattice with a basis of Na Cl atoms at fractional coordinates (0,0,0) and (1/2,1/2,1/2) respectively

the zincblend (ZnS) unit cell (specifically the sphalerite not wurtzite) i know is also based on a fcc lattice but instead has a basis of Zn at (0,0,0) and S at (1/4,1/4,1/4) respectively which makes it tetrahedraly coordinated instead

i was wondering fundamentally why the S is at 1/4,1/4,1/4 and not 1/2,1/2,1/2 like Cl

i.e. the atomic positions...i was wondering if there was a way to derive this based on the lattice parameters.

mathman
Science Advisor
I am not familiar with the terminology here. You talk about fractions of unit cells. Could you be more specific.

hmm, i guess in the end i was wondering how the position of the atoms in a fcc structure are determined. i know the lattice parameters are determined experimentally. But how are the positions of the atoms determined