Deriving fractional atomic coordination numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the coordination numbers for atomic positions in crystals, specifically in NaCl and ZnS structures. The question is raised about the positioning of atoms in fractional coordinates, with Na at (0,0,0) and Cl at (1/2,1/2,1/2) in NaCl and Zn at (0,0,0) and S at (1/4,1/4,1/4) in ZnS. The conversation delves into the concept of lattice parameters and how they are determined experimentally, as well as how the positions of atoms in a FCC structure are determined. The terminology and fractions of unit cells are also mentioned.
SSJ2
hi guys

i was wondering how the coordination numbers for the atomic positions of atoms in crystals such as NaCl are derived

...more specifically why is Na at (0,0,0) and Cl at (1/2,1/2,1/2) and not
(0,0,0) and (1/4,1/4,1/4)

of course this is in fractional coordinates

Physics news on Phys.org
SSJ2 said:
hi guys

i was wondering how the coordination numbers for the atomic positions of atoms in crystals such as NaCl are derived

...more specifically why is Na at (0,0,0) and Cl at (1/2,1/2,1/2) and not
(0,0,0) and (1/4,1/4,1/4)

of course this is in fractional coordinates
What are the units?

why do the units matter...NaCl has at halite structure...or the atomic positions of (0,0,0) and(.5,.5,.5) in fractional coordinates for the unit cell

maybe i didnt explain clearly enough... let me try again

So I know that the NaCl unit cell is based on a FCC lattice with a basis of Na Cl atoms at fractional coordinates (0,0,0) and (1/2,1/2,1/2) respectively

the zincblend (ZnS) unit cell (specifically the sphalerite not wurtzite) i know is also based on a fcc lattice but instead has a basis of Zn at (0,0,0) and S at (1/4,1/4,1/4) respectively which makes it tetrahedraly coordinated instead

i was wondering fundamentally why the S is at 1/4,1/4,1/4 and not 1/2,1/2,1/2 like Cl

i.e. the atomic positions...i was wondering if there was a way to derive this based on the lattice parameters.

I am not familiar with the terminology here. You talk about fractions of unit cells. Could you be more specific.

hmm, i guess in the end i was wondering how the position of the atoms in a fcc structure are determined. i know the lattice parameters are determined experimentally. But how are the positions of the atoms determined

1. What is the definition of fractional atomic coordination numbers?

Fractional atomic coordination numbers refer to the average number of atoms that are in direct contact with a given atom in a crystal structure. It takes into account both whole and partial bonds between atoms.

2. Why is it important to determine fractional atomic coordination numbers?

Fractional atomic coordination numbers provide important information about the structure and stability of a crystal. They can also help in predicting the physical and chemical properties of materials.

3. How are fractional atomic coordination numbers calculated?

Fractional atomic coordination numbers are calculated by dividing the total number of atoms in direct contact with a given atom by the total number of atoms within its coordination sphere. This is usually done using computer software or by manually analyzing crystal structures.

4. Can fractional atomic coordination numbers change in different crystal structures?

Yes, fractional atomic coordination numbers can vary in different crystal structures depending on factors such as the type of bonding, the size of the atoms, and the geometry of the crystal lattice.

5. How can fractional atomic coordination numbers be used in materials design?

By understanding the fractional atomic coordination numbers, scientists can manipulate the structure of materials to achieve desired properties. For example, increasing the coordination number can result in stronger and more stable materials, while decreasing it can lead to materials with unique properties, such as increased reactivity.