Deriving Rutherford's Formula: Integrating to Find the Angle of Deflection

In summary, the conversation is about deriving Rutherford's formula from the equation \phi_0 = \int_{r_{min}}^\infty \frac{\frac{\rho}{r^2}dr}{\sqrt{1-\frac{\rho^2}{r^2}-\frac{2U}{mv_\infty^2}}} by using the hint \int_{x_+}^\infty \frac{1}{x\sqrt{(x-x_+)(x-x_-}} = arccos \frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a^2}} and substituting U=\frac{\alpha}{r}. The question is how to rewrite the equation in the form given by the hint.
jameson2

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

This is in my mechanics book. It gives the final formula, only saying "carrying out the elementary integration..."
Derive Rutherford's Formula:
[tex] \phi_0=cos^{-1}\frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a^2}} [/tex]
where
[tex] a=\frac{\alpha}{mv_\infty^2 \rho} [/tex]

From the equation
[tex] \phi_0 = \int_{r_{min}}^\infty \frac{\frac{\rho}{r^2}dr}{\sqrt{1-\frac{\rho^2}{r^2}-\frac{2U}{mv_\infty^2}}} [/tex]

Using [tex] U=\frac{\alpha}{r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This question comes up regularly on exams, and the hint that is given is that

[tex] \int_{x_+}^\infty \frac{1}{x\sqrt{(x-x_+)(x-x_-}} = arccos \frac{a}{\sqrt{1+a^2}}[/tex]

where [tex] x_+=a+\sqrt{1+a^2} [/tex] and [tex] x_-=a-\sqrt{1+a^2} [/tex]

I don't see how this helps, since the integral is from r min, which corresponds to [tex] x_- [/tex] I think. Also, I have [tex] \rho [/tex] instead of 1 in the expressions for [tex] x_-[/tex] and [tex] x_+ [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
. So, if I substitute U=\frac{\alpha}{r} into the integral, I get: \phi_0 = \int_{r_{min}}^\infty \frac{\frac{\rho}{r^2}dr}{\sqrt{1-\frac{\rho^2}{r^2}-\frac{2\alpha}{mrv_\infty^2}}} Now, how can I rewrite this so that it is in the form given in the hint?

1. How did Rutherford derive his formula?

Rutherford's formula was derived from his famous gold foil experiment in which he bombarded a thin sheet of gold foil with alpha particles.

2. What is the significance of Rutherford's formula?

Rutherford's formula helped to explain the structure of atoms and led to the development of the modern atomic model.

3. Can Rutherford's formula be applied to other elements besides gold?

Yes, Rutherford's formula can be applied to any element with a nucleus, as it describes the scattering of alpha particles by a central positive charge.

4. How accurate is Rutherford's formula?

Rutherford's formula is relatively accurate for larger angles of scattering, but it does not account for small angle scattering or the effects of quantum mechanics.

5. What other contributions did Rutherford make to the field of science?

In addition to his famous formula, Rutherford also discovered the concept of radioactive half-life and the proton, which led to the development of the nuclear model of the atom.