Deriving the displacement equation for a sinusoidal wave

In summary: The formula given is just the function that has that property. Essentially, it's a way to describe the same wave at different times.In summary, the derivation of the displacement equation for a sinusoidal wave involves replacing x with the quantity (x-vt) in the function that describes the graph of displacement versus position at time t=0. This allows for describing the same wave at different times. The minus sign indicates movement in the positive x direction, while the plus sign indicates movement in the negative x direction. However, this is not a true derivation, but rather a way to describe the same wave at different times.
nietzsche
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand the derivation of

[tex]D(x,t) = A \sin{(kx - \omega t + \phi_o)}[/tex]

which is the displacement equation for a sinusoidal wave.

The way my textbook (Physics for scientists and engineers by Knight) does it:

Look at the graph of displacement versus position at time t = 0. The function that describes this graph is

[tex]D(x,t=0) = A \sin{(2 \pi (\frac{x}{\lambda}) + \phi_o)}[/tex]

Now what I don't get is the next step. We replace x with the quantity (x-vt), where v is the speed of the wave. The resulting equation is

[tex]D(x,t) = A \sin{(2 \pi (\frac{x-vt}{\lambda}) + \phi_o)}[/tex]

Where does this (x-vt) term come from? I don't understand what this equation means, because I thought we were considering t = 0, and now we are throwing in a t variable.

Please help me understand! Thanks in advance.edit: I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'Alembert's_formula

I think it is related, but I don't understand the article at all...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After a time t, the wave will have moved a distance vt in the positive x direction.

willem2 said:
After a time t, the wave will have moved a distance vt in the positive x direction.

Thank you, but I still don't understand.

I'm really trying to get some intuition behind why we are able to do this. I can see that vt is equal to the distance that one crest will move in time t if it is moving at wave speed v.

I can also see that if we put t = 0 in the new equation, we get the original equation.

But,

1) Why do we put a minus sign for positive x direction and a plus sign for negative x direction? I remember from math that, for example, sin(2pi - 1) is the graph of sin(2pi) shifted to the right by 1 unit, but I still don't understand what this means for the graphs and the actual waves. But this leads me to my next question...

2) What does this even mean? How can we just put a time variable into a equation that assumed from the beginning that t = 0?

Thanks.

1) The graph of f(x-a) is the graph of f(x) shifted a to the right (positive x direction)
if you have f(x) = C for x=D then you have f(x-a) = C for x = D+a

2) This isn't really a derivation. They just gave a function with the property that D(x,t) = D(x-vt, 0)

1. What is the displacement equation for a sinusoidal wave?

The displacement equation for a sinusoidal wave is given by the formula y = A sin(kx - ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, x is the position, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase constant.

2. How is the amplitude of a sinusoidal wave related to its displacement?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal wave is directly related to its displacement. The amplitude represents the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. A larger amplitude indicates a greater displacement, while a smaller amplitude indicates a smaller displacement.

3. What does the wave number represent in the displacement equation for a sinusoidal wave?

The wave number, denoted by k, represents the number of waves per unit distance in the x-direction. It is related to the wavelength of the wave by the formula k = 2π/λ, where λ is the wavelength.

4. How does the angular frequency affect the displacement of a sinusoidal wave?

The angular frequency, denoted by ω, is related to the frequency of the wave by the formula ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency. A larger angular frequency results in a faster oscillation and a greater displacement of the wave.

5. What is the significance of the phase constant in the displacement equation for a sinusoidal wave?

The phase constant, denoted by φ, represents the initial phase of the wave. It determines the position of the wave at t = 0 and can shift the entire wave in the x-direction. A phase constant of 0 results in the wave starting at its equilibrium position, while a phase constant of π/2 results in the wave starting at its maximum displacement.