Deriving the equation for magnetic induction

In summary, we have a straight wire with radius R and we want to find the magnetic induction at point A located at a distance of r from the wire. Using the Biot-Savart law, we can derive the equation B=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi r} by integrating over the entire volume of the wire. This involves dividing the wire into infinitely thin planes and lines, and using the distance between each line and point A to calculate the magnetic induction. The final equation takes into account the radius of the wire and the current density. While this integral may be difficult to solve analytically, it can be approximated through numerical methods.
raul_l

Homework Statement

We have a straight wire with radius R. What is the magnetic induction through point A at a distance of r?
In other words, derive the equation [tex] B=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi r} [/tex] by using [tex] d\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{4\pi r^2}(d\vec{l} \times \vec{u_{r}}) [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] d\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{4\pi r^2}(d\vec{l} \times \vec{u_{r}}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I know there are a couple of methods for doing this, some of them being quite simple. But I'm specifically interested in solving the problem by using just one equation (the Biot-Savart law) and integrating it over the entire volume of the wire (assuming we have an infinitely long straight wire with constant radius and density). I guess this means bringing in a triple integral. As far as I know [tex] dB=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{4\pi s^2}\cos{\alpha}dl [/tex] where [tex] \cos{\alpha}=\frac{r}{s} [/tex] (see drawing1) in which case we are dealing with an infinitely thin wire and it would be not too difficult to solve [tex] B=\int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{\mu_{0}i}{4\pi s^2}\cos{\alpha}dl [/tex]. However, assuming that we have a real wire with a radius R, we need one more angle to describe the position of dl with respect to point A. (see drawing2). If any of this makes any sense at all, I should get [tex] dB=\frac{\mu_{0}i}{4\pi x^2}\cos{\alpha}\cos{\phi}dl [/tex] where [tex] \cos{\alpha}=\frac{a}{s} [/tex], [tex] \cos{\phi}=\frac{s}{x} [/tex] and r is the distance between point A and the center of the wire. I haven't learned yet how to create triple integrals (only double integrals so far) so this is why it's a little bit beyond my level. Any thoughts on how to continue? Am I even moving in the right direction here?

Attachments

• drawing1.JPG
    drawing1.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 392
  • drawing2.JPG
    drawing2.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful in choosing your differential elements. As it stands right now, yours doesn't make too much sense because you ultimately wish to integrate over a volume [tex]V[/tex] containing a constant current density [tex]\vec{J}[/tex].

Use the form [tex]d\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi r^2} (\vec{J}dV \times \vec{r})[/tex] to start with. By forgoing the use of vector calculus, however, setting up the integrals properly may be pretty difficult. For example, the bounds of [tex]\phi[/tex] over which to integrate are not nearly as simple as [tex]\alpha[/tex]. As to the solution, you may not be able to find an exact result I'm afraid. I have done a few similar calculations and I ended up computing them in MATLAB.

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess that makes sense. I was wondering about this however. Is it right for me to assume that the bounds of [tex]\phi[/tex] are functions of [tex]\alpha[/tex] and a?

I finally figured it out. I'm going to divide the wire into infinitely thin planes, each plane perpendicular to r (the distance between point A and the center of the wire). Each plane I will divide into infinitely thin straight lines, so as if the whole wire represents a bundle of infinitely thin straight "wires" (see wire.jpg, where each line represents a single point on the cross-section of the wire). Each of those lines has a current di running through them inducing a magnetic field vector [tex] d\vec{B} [/tex] at point A. All I have to do is find a way to express the sum of all the modules of [tex] d\vec{B} [/tex] created by each line to get the answer I'm looking for.

symbol definitions:
r - distance between point A and the center of the wire
h - distance between the observable plane and the center of the wire (r+h is the distance between point A and the observable plane)
R - radius of the wire
R' - half the width of the observable plane. It depends on the value of h, therefore R'(h).
x - distance between line B (in the drawing it appears as point B) and the central line of the observable plane
s - distance between line B and point A
phi - angle between r and s (see drawing)

First, I will observe the magnetic induction created at point A by the central line of the wire. It's easy to show that that would be [tex] dB=\frac{\mu_{0}di}{2\pi r} [/tex]. For any other line I would have to substitute r with s (distance between the observable line and point A). For example for line B I get [tex] dB=\frac{\mu_{0}di}{2\pi s}\cos{\phi}=\frac{\mu_{0}jdS}{2\pi s}\frac{r+h}{s}=\frac{\mu_{0}j(r+h)dxdh}{2\pi s^2}=\frac{\mu_{0}j(r+h)dxdh}{2\pi ((r+h)^2+x^2)} [/tex]
By integrating it over x from -R' to R' I get the magnetic induction at point A induced by each plane. To find the sum of all planes I have to integrate it over h from -R to R. [tex] B=\int^{R}_{-R}{\int^{R'(h)}_{-R(h)}{\frac{\mu_{0}j(r+h)}{2\pi ((r+h)^2+x^2)}dx}dh}=\int^{R}_{-R}{2\int^{R'(h)}_{0}{\frac{\mu_{0}j(r+h)}{2\pi ((r+h)^2+x^2)}dx}dh}=\int^{R}_{-R}{\int^{R'(h)}_{0}{\frac{\mu_{0}j(r+h)}{\pi ((r+h)^2+x^2)}dx}dh} [/tex]

[tex] h^2+R'^2=R^2 \Rightarrow R'(h)=\sqrt{R^2-h^2} [/tex]
Also, I want to keep the current constant, independent of the radius of the wire, therefore I will substitute [tex] j=\frac{i}{4\pi R^2} [/tex] to get [tex] B(r,R,i)=\int^{R}_{-R}{\int^{R'(h)}_{0}{\frac{\mu_{0}\frac{i}{4\pi R^2}(r+h)}{\pi ((r+h)^2+x^2)}dx}dh}=\int^{R}_{-R}{\int^{R'(h)}_{0}{\frac{\mu_{0}i(r+h)}{4R^2 ((r+h)^2+x^2)}dx}dh} [/tex] which gives me the magnetic induction of an infinitely long straight wire with the radius R at point A. So far I haven't found a computer program that could solve this kind of integral but by using different values of r, R and i to numerically find B(r,R,i) I believe that I can safely conclude that
[tex]B(r,R,i)=\int^{R}_{-R}{\int^{R'(h)}_{0}{\frac{\mu_{0}i(r+h)}{4R^2 ((r+h)^2+x^2)}dx}dh}=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\mu_{0}ir}{2\pi R^2},&\mbox{ if }
r<R \\\frac{\mu_{0}i}{2\pi r}, & \mbox{ if } r \geq R\end{array}\right.[/tex]

Attachments

• wire.JPG
    wire.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field at a specific point in space. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in tesla (T).

2. How is the equation for magnetic induction derived?

The equation for magnetic induction is derived from the fundamental principles of electromagnetism, namely Ampere's law and Faraday's law of induction. It is also based on the concept of magnetic fields and their interactions with electric currents and charges.

3. Can the equation for magnetic induction be simplified?

Yes, the equation for magnetic induction can be simplified in certain situations, such as when dealing with a uniform magnetic field or in a specific geometry. However, the general equation takes into account all possible variations and is therefore more accurate.

4. What factors affect the value of magnetic induction?

The value of magnetic induction is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the angle between the magnetic field and the surface, and the properties of the material in the magnetic field. It also depends on the current or charge producing the magnetic field.

5. Why is the equation for magnetic induction important?

The equation for magnetic induction is important because it allows us to calculate the strength of a magnetic field at any point in space, which is crucial in a wide range of applications, from designing electrical devices to understanding the behavior of celestial bodies. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of electromagnetism and plays a key role in many other equations and laws in the field.