Deriving the Stefan-Boltzman law and integration tricks

In summary, the student was trying to derive the stefan-boltzman law from the planc's formula, but got stuck. They tried to simplify it with an integral, but didn't know what to do with the summation. They solved the problem by swapping the series and integral, and found that the zeta function gave them the answer.
azoroth134

Homework Statement

HI people,

I was trying to derive the stefan-boltzman law from the planc's formula, I kind of got stuck with an integral

Homework Equations

$$ \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x -1} dx $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried simplifying it with

$$ \int_{0}^{\infty} x^3 e^{-x} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} e^{-nx} dx $$

Now I don't know what to do with the summation. I could evaluate

$$ \int_{0}^{\infty} x^3 e^{-x} dx = 6$$

pleas help me to get the rest of it, I see the answer comes with $\pi$, how do I get it in this kind of equation? Is there any special trick to solve these type of integrals?
thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Under the condition that both the series and the integral converge, you can swap them. Here we're sure that the series converges because we got it by taylor-expanding a function. About the integral, we have a polynomial against an exponential with negative exponent which means converges too. So we have ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty \int_0^\infty x^3 e^{-x}e^{-nx} dx=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \int_0^\infty x^3 e^{-(n+1)x}##. Now you if you integrate by parts three times(each time considering u to be the algebraic factor and dv to be the exponential one), you can obtain the solution to the integral.

Likes azoroth134
Ah great, thank you very much, I almost got it on the track now, this is

$$ \int_{0}^{\infty} x^3 e^{-(n+1)x} dx = 6 (n+1)^{-4}$$

can you just tell me a little about how to evaluate the summation of $$\sum \frac{1}{(n+1)^4}$$ though, I think I forgot this evaluation.

thanks in advance

The series ## \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(n+1)^4}## can be written as ## \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^4}## which is equal to ## \zeta(4) ##, where ## \zeta(s) ## is the Riemann zeta function. So you don't need to evaluate the series, just look for tables of the values for this function or compute it using math softwares.

problem solved, thanks a lot

1. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits. It states that the total energy radiated per unit surface area of an object is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. How is the Stefan-Boltzmann law derived?

The law was derived by Austrian physicist Josef Stefan in 1879 and later refined by physicist Ludwig Boltzmann in 1884. It is based on the principles of thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, and involves integrating the spectral energy density of an object over all wavelengths.

3. What are some common integration tricks used in deriving the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

Some common integration tricks used in deriving the Stefan-Boltzmann law include using the substitution method, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. Other techniques such as integration by parts and trigonometric substitutions may also be used depending on the specific derivation approach.

4. Why is the Stefan-Boltzmann law important?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that helps us understand the behavior of thermal radiation and its relationship to temperature. It has many practical applications, including the study of stars and other celestial bodies, as well as the design of technologies that involve thermal radiation, such as solar panels and heat engines.

5. Are there any limitations to the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

While the Stefan-Boltzmann law is a useful and accurate approximation in many cases, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the object is a perfect blackbody, which is an idealized concept that does not exist in reality. Additionally, the law does not take into account factors such as non-uniform temperature distribution and surface properties, which can affect the amount of thermal radiation emitted. Therefore, it is important to use the law with caution and consider any potential limitations when applying it to a specific situation.