Derjaguin Formula for Contact Angle Prediction | Explained and Illustrated

• Thread starter LouisD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the Derjaguin formula, given by cos(θ) = 1 + G(h0)/γ, is used to calculate the contact angle of a droplet on a solid substrate separated by a thin liquid interlayer. The formula takes into account the equilibrium distance between the droplet and the substrate, as well as the surface tension of the liquid. The calculation of G(h0) leads to the expression - A/(12πh0²), where A is the Hamaker constant of the system. This energy is known as the Lifshitz energy and it corresponds to the van der Waals energy, specifically the London-Lifshitz dispersion forces. In this case, the air plays no role in the calculation
LouisD
Hi everyone,
Decades ago, Derjaguin calculated formula which was able to predict the contact angle of a droplet on a solid substrate. The droplet and the solid substrate are separated by a thin liquid interlayer.
This formula was

cos(θ) = 1 + G(h0)/γ

where θ is the contact angle of the droplet on the solid substrate, h0 is the equilibrium distance between the droplet and the droplet (i.e the width of the thin liquid interlayer) and γ the surface tension of the liquid (water here).
The calculation of G(h0) leads to the following expression :

G(h0) = - A/(12.[itex]\pi[/itex].h0²)

with A the Hamaker constant of the system. This energy corresponds to the Lifshitz energy.
Here is my question : When you're calculating the Lifshitz energy between two materials (solid or liquid) you need to have between them a liquid or a gas. In this case, you just have air-water-solid substrate. I don't understand how it is possible to calculate the energy then, can somebody help me with that ? As I'm not a very good english speaker, I hope my question is clear otherwise don't hesitate to ask me to clarify any details.

For more detail one this, http://arxiv.org/pdf/1212.6583.pdf

Thanks you

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I needed the Derjaguin formula several times when I was writing my master's thesis on the behavior of thin liquid films on solid substrates. The formula we used was ##\cos \theta = 1 + \frac{1}{\gamma}\int_{h*}^{\infty}\Pi (h)dh##, where ##\theta## is the contact angle, ##\gamma## is the surface tension, ##h^*## is precursor film thickness and ##\Pi (h)## is the disjoining pressure as a function of film thickness.

I'm not sure I really understand LouisD's question... What is Lifshitz energy? What do you mean by needing to have something between the two phases for which the energy is calculated?

I think I understand your question. The disjoining pressure in your case is made of van der Waals energy (specifically - London-Lifshitz dispersion forces). You said yourself that there is a thin film between the substrate and the liquid. In that case that is the medium which is used in the formula. The air plays no role here since it is far above the surface and you can probably assume infinite thickness for the liquid.

What is the Derjaguin formula?

The Derjaguin formula, also known as the Derjaguin-Landau-Verwey-Overbeek (DLVO) theory, is a scientific formula used to predict the stability of colloidal suspensions, which are mixtures of particles and a liquid. It takes into account the attractive and repulsive forces between particles to determine whether they will aggregate or disperse.

Who developed the Derjaguin formula?

The Derjaguin formula was developed by Russian scientists Boris Derjaguin, Isaak K. Lifshitz, and Evgeny Lifshitz in the 1940s. They based their theory on the work of Dutch physicist Johannes van der Waals and British chemist Michael Faraday.

What is the significance of the Derjaguin formula?

The Derjaguin formula is significant because it allows scientists to predict the stability of colloidal systems, which are present in many natural and industrial processes. It has been used in fields such as biophysics, polymer science, and environmental science to understand and control the behavior of colloidal particles.

What are the limitations of the Derjaguin formula?

The Derjaguin formula is based on simplifying assumptions and does not take into account all factors that may affect particle stability, such as surface roughness or charge heterogeneity. It also assumes that particles are spherical and do not interact with other particles in the system. Therefore, it may not accurately predict the stability of complex systems.

How is the Derjaguin formula used in research and industry?

The Derjaguin formula is used in research and industry to study and manipulate the stability of colloidal particles. It can be used to design new materials, control the stability of suspensions in various products, and understand the behavior of biological systems. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields such as medicine, food science, and environmental engineering.