Design a 2 bit multiplier circuit

In summary: I'm a bit new to this so I'm probably wrong, but I am curious.Anyway, I need to get to work on this myself. Thanks for the help!In summary, a 2-bit multiplier circuit takes in two 2-bit numbers as inputs and generates a 4-bit result. The design should include a truth table, a simplified logic expression, a logic circuit, and the implementation of the circuit using only NAND gates. The number of output bits increases as the number of input bits increases. Karnaugh maps can be used to simplify the logic expression, and research should be done independently to fully understand the concept.
soonsoon88
Design a 2 bit multiplier circuit.
The design should include:
a)truth table
b)simplified logic expression
c)logic circuit
d)implementation of the circuit using NAND gates only.

*Anybody able to help me? Actually that is my quiz on last week, but my lecturer note dint mention about this at all. In short, i really know nothing about it.I hope anyone know the information about 2bit multiplier circuit or anyone know one of the solution or any website can learn about it,share with me about it.THX A LOT !*

Physics news on Phys.org
soonsoon88 said:
Design a 2 bit multiplier circuit.
The design should include:
a)truth table
b)simplified logic expression
c)logic circuit
d)implementation of the circuit using NAND gates only.

*Anybody able to help me? Actually that is my quiz on last week, but my lecturer note dint mention about this at all. In short, i really know nothing about it.I hope anyone know the information about 2bit multiplier circuit or anyone know one of the solution or any website can learn about it,share with me about it.THX A LOT !*

Well, you should be able to at least start with the truth table, right? Please post the truth table, and tell us about how you would do the Karnaugh Map for it...

berkeman said:
Well, you should be able to at least start with the truth table, right? Please post the truth table, and tell us about how you would do the Karnaugh Map for it...

A(1) A(0) B(1) B(0) C(3) C(2) C(1) C(0)

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1
0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0
1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0
1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1
Am i right? If i am totally wrong, you may let me know.
If it is hard to explain it at here, i may go ask for other first.
Thx for helping first =)

Last edited:
soonsoon88 said:
A(1) A(0) B(1) B(0) C(3) C(2) C(1) C(0)

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1
0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0
1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0
1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0
1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1

Am i right? If i am totally wrong, you may let me know.
If it is hard to explain it at here, i may go ask for other first.
Thx for helping first =)

Very good! That is the truth table for A[1:0] * B[1:0] = C[3:0]

Now, draw the 4 Karnaugh maps for the 4 output bits, with the 4 input bits on the sides of each K-map. Remember to use the Grey code ordering of the A and B bits along the sides of the K-maps. If you're unclear about K-maps, you can do a search at wikipedia.org

berkeman said:
Very good! That is the truth table for A[1:0] * B[1:0] = C[3:0]

Now, draw the 4 Karnaugh maps for the 4 output bits, with the 4 input bits on the sides of each K-map. Remember to use the Grey code ordering of the A and B bits along the sides of the K-maps. If you're unclear about K-maps, you can do a search at wikipedia.org

Draw ?! >.<
I think it will be a big problem to me since i really know nothing for it xD
However, i will try to search for it.
Anyway, may i know what will be the different if it is 4bit or 3 bit multiplier circuit ??
Actually,i don't really know why i have to do like tis
>> * A(1) A(0) B(1) B(0) C(3) C(2) C(1) C(0) *

Why the input only A and B ? I m vry confuse...sry >.<

soonsoon88 said:
Draw ?! >.<
I think it will be a big problem to me since i really know nothing for it xD
However, i will try to search for it.
Anyway, may i know what will be the different if it is 4bit or 3 bit multiplier circuit ??
Actually,i don't really know why i have to do like tis
>> * A(1) A(0) B(1) B(0) C(3) C(2) C(1) C(0) *

Why the input only A and B ? I m vry confuse...sry >.<

As you can see from your truth table, a 2-bit multiplier takes two 2-bit numbers as inputs, and generates a 4-bit result. As you go to more bits at the input, the number of output bits increases.

Quiz Question -- If the two inputs are N-bits and M-bits wide, how many bits will be needed for the output?

N+M bits right? I'm a newbie to this as well

fizzziks said:

Correct-o-mundo. Good. How's the K-map going?

berkeman said:

Actually...i don't really know how to carry on already >.<
Even the logic circle..i also don't know how to do via the table >.<

soonsoon88 said:
Actually...i don't really know how to carry on already >.<
Even the logic circle..i also don't know how to do via the table >.<

Well, we don't really teach you how to use K-maps here (at least I don't). Use your textbook or wikipedia to learn the basics, and post your work here if you still have problems getting it to work. You will not learn to learn if we spoon feed you. Show us the reference links you've explored to learn how to do this, and ask specific questions if you have them.

fizzziks said:

berkeman said:

Reviving an old topic here, but shouldn't it be N*M bits? Because a one bit wide times a one bit wide can be represented with a one bit output, and a 2 bit times a one bit is represented by a 2 bit output (you only need two bits to represent "3")?

1. What is a 2 bit multiplier circuit?

A 2 bit multiplier circuit is an electronic circuit designed to perform multiplication of two 2-bit binary numbers. It takes in two 2-bit binary inputs and produces a 4-bit binary output representing the product of the two numbers.

2. How does a 2 bit multiplier circuit work?

A 2 bit multiplier circuit consists of logic gates such as AND, OR, and XOR gates, which are connected in a specific way to perform the multiplication operation. The circuit takes the two 2-bit binary inputs and uses the logic gates to generate the correct output bits according to the multiplication rules.

3. What are the advantages of using a 2 bit multiplier circuit?

One advantage of using a 2 bit multiplier circuit is its speed and efficiency in performing multiplication operations. It can handle the multiplication of two 2-bit numbers in a single step, whereas traditional methods require multiple steps. Additionally, the circuit can be easily integrated into larger systems and circuits, making it a useful building block in complex electronic designs.

4. What are some potential applications of a 2 bit multiplier circuit?

A 2 bit multiplier circuit has various applications in digital systems, such as in microprocessors, digital signal processors, and arithmetic logic units. It is also used in devices that require fast multiplication operations, such as calculators and computers.

5. Can a 2 bit multiplier circuit be expanded to handle larger numbers?

Yes, a 2 bit multiplier circuit can be expanded to handle larger numbers by increasing the number of inputs and outputs. For example, a 4 bit multiplier circuit can handle multiplication of two 4-bit numbers, and a 8 bit multiplier circuit can handle multiplication of two 8-bit numbers. The same logic gates and principles are used, but the circuit becomes more complex as the number of bits increases.