Design a Circuit: Solve Homework Statement

In summary, the task is to design a circuit with a current of 21 ± 1 mA using two ideal batteries with emfs of 1.5 V and 9.0 V, and three 120 Ω resistors. The solution involves placing the resistors in series and opposing the emfs, resulting in a current of 21 mA.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

You are given two ideal batteries with ##\epsilon_1 = 1.5 V## and ##\epsilon_2 = 9.0 V##. You are also given three ##120 \Omega## resistors.You may use any or all of the components. Design a circuit where there is a current of ##21 \pm 1 mA## through at least one of the resistors.

Do NOT use EMF sources in parallel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already tried several combinations of resistors and batteries with no avail. The closest I've been is when all three resistors are in series with the ##9.0 V## emf. Then the current across the whole circuit is ##25 mA##. I've also tried creating several multiloop circuits, but those haven't worked either.

Anyone have some design advice? It would be very appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind guys I got it, just place the resistors in series and then oppose the emfs. Then the current is ##\frac{9.0-1.5}{360} = 21 mA##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
glad to see you got it. I've never understood the utility of such problems, they just seem silly to me but I've seen them before.

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path that electrons can flow through, usually made up of wires, resistors, capacitors, and other components. It allows electricity to flow and power devices.

2. How do you design a circuit?

The first step in designing a circuit is to clearly define the homework statement or problem that needs to be solved. Then, you need to determine the components and their values that are needed to solve the problem. Next, you can use a schematic diagram or software to create the circuit layout. Finally, the circuit should be tested and refined if needed.

3. What tools are needed to design a circuit?

To design a circuit, you will need a variety of tools such as a breadboard, wires, resistors, capacitors, voltage and current meters, and a power supply. You may also need a computer with software for schematic and circuit design.

4. What are some common mistakes when designing a circuit?

Some common mistakes when designing a circuit include using incorrect component values, not properly connecting the components, and not considering the power requirements of the circuit. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure the circuit design matches the homework statement or problem.

5. How can I become better at designing circuits?

Practice and experimentation are key to becoming better at designing circuits. It is important to understand the fundamentals of circuit design, such as Ohm's Law and Kirchoff's Laws. Additionally, you can learn from experienced engineers, participate in online forums and workshops, and use circuit simulation software to test and refine your designs.