Design a Monoflop: Help Calculating Values from Sine Wave Input

• Thread starter cherry_ying
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Designing
In summary, the individual is a first year undergrad who was tasked with designing a monoflop circuit that takes in a sine wave and outputs two corresponding square waves. The design they were given as a reference did not include any values, and they are struggling to calculate the necessary values for the circuit. They have tried using arbitrary values, but the output is not what they desire. They are also unsure if the given circuit is capable of producing the desired output with a sine wave input. They have received advice on using lots of gain and appropriate resistor values, but are still confused about how to control the length of the square wave.
cherry_ying
Hi, I am a first year undergrad, and for my research, I was asked to design a monoflop (monostable multi-vibrator) which takes in a sine wave, and outputs two square waves which are corresponding to each other (one is on while the other is off, and vice versa)

I was told to refer to the design in attachment. However, no values were listed in the sample design. I'm just wondering if someone could please help me calculate the values I would need for the circuit, since I haven't learned how to analyze transistor and diodes yet.

I know from different readings that the collector for T1 and T2 is one output and the collector from T3 is the other output. I have tried arbitary values, and the problems I'm having are that a) the output from T1 and T2 is still a sign wave, and b) the output from T3 is not big enough. Since I have no clue regarding what are the appropriate values for each device, I cannot seem to get what I want on it.

(Also, I have seen other monoflop designs online, however, the majority of them are creating square waves from a pulse, which is different from the sine wave. If there are any site that uses sine wave as input, I would glad to hear about them.)

Thanks!

Attachments

• sample design.JPG
    sample design.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 363
Engineering news on Phys.org
cherry_ying said:
Hi, I am a first year undergrad, and for my research, I was asked to design a monoflop (monostable multi-vibrator) which takes in a sine wave, and outputs two square waves which are corresponding to each other (one is on while the other is off, and vice versa)

I was told to refer to the design in attachment. However, no values were listed in the sample design. I'm just wondering if someone could please help me calculate the values I would need for the circuit, since I haven't learned how to analyze transistor and diodes yet.

I know from different readings that the collector for T1 and T2 is one output and the collector from T3 is the other output. I have tried arbitary values, and the problems I'm having are that a) the output from T1 and T2 is still a sign wave, and b) the output from T3 is not big enough. Since I have no clue regarding what are the appropriate values for each device, I cannot seem to get what I want on it.

(Also, I have seen other monoflop designs online, however, the majority of them are creating square waves from a pulse, which is different from the sine wave. If there are any site that uses sine wave as input, I would glad to hear about them.)

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF. Schoolwork questions like this normally need to be posted in the Homework Help section of the PF. I'm going to let this thread stay here in EE for now though, as long as the help you are given conforms to the HH rules (hints and questions only, etc.).

cherry_ying said:

The circuit in the figure looks to have issues. Where did you get it from? The diode arrangement especially looks wrong -- is there a connection missing to somewhere from the junction between the two diode cathodes?

To deal with a sine wave input, you just need lots of gain. You want your output stages to go between cutoff and saturation, so they need to be driven with enough base current (and have a big enough collector resistor) to push them into saturation when they are on.

berkeman said:
The circuit in the figure looks to have issues. Where did you get it from? The diode arrangement especially looks wrong -- is there a connection missing to somewhere from the junction between the two diode cathodes?

To deal with a sine wave input, you just need lots of gain. You want your output stages to go between cutoff and saturation, so they need to be driven with enough base current (and have a big enough collector resistor) to push them into saturation when they are on.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

The circuit in the figure was from a paper. My tutor/phd referred me to it. The pic is a direct screen shot from the paper, so the chances of a missing connection is slim. however, if it's wrong, what would you suggest to change?

cutoff and saturation, does that have to do with the transistor? So in order to get lots of gain, i need big collector resistors. Are there any specifications for other resistors?

my tutor/phd also mentioned that the RC part controls the length of the square wave. I am confused with which R would that be, and when I tried to vary the C, it did not seem to work.

I am also currently wondering whether or not the circuit that was given actually does what I require it to do, as in with sine input, outputs two corresponding square waves.

thanks!

cherry_ying said:
Thank you so much for your quick reply!

The circuit in the figure was from a paper. My tutor/phd referred me to it. The pic is a direct screen shot from the paper, so the chances of a missing connection is slim. however, if it's wrong, what would you suggest to change?

cutoff and saturation, does that have to do with the transistor? So in order to get lots of gain, i need big collector resistors. Are there any specifications for other resistors?

my tutor/phd also mentioned that the RC part controls the length of the square wave. I am confused with which R would that be, and when I tried to vary the C, it did not seem to work.

I am also currently wondering whether or not the circuit that was given actually does what I require it to do, as in with sine input, outputs two corresponding square waves.

thanks!

Since the schematic was from a paper, what did the paper say about the function of the two diodes?

Do you have a circuit simulator that you can work with in designing your project circuit? Or do you have to do it by hand on a breadboard?

BTW, I used Google Images to search for the term monoflop (which I hadn't heard before), and got a number of ineresting circuit implementations...

berkeman said:
Since the schematic was from a paper, what did the paper say about the function of the two diodes?

Do you have a circuit simulator that you can work with in designing your project circuit? Or do you have to do it by hand on a breadboard?

BTW, I used Google Images to search for the term monoflop (which I hadn't heard before), and got a number of ineresting circuit implementations...

Attached is a screen shot of a page of the paper describing how the monoflop works. it seems that it only described how the circuit works, however, no diode was mentioned.

I am currently working on it on ADS, which allows simulation. I have tried arbitary values with all resistance set to 50 Ohms, and the capacitor set to 10pF, however, the result I got is a sine wave for one output (T1, T2 collector) and a smaller, rounded square wave for the other output at the T3 collector.

I tried searching for monoflop on google as well. It seems that I should have mentioned that it's also called "monostable multi-vibrator". Have you heard of this before? If so, do you happen to know if the circuit works correctly?

Attachments

• description.JPG
    description.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 323
So it turns out that the two diodes in this circuit are actually varactors (voltage variables capacitors). Not surprising then that no one could figure out how it was supposed to work without that crucial piece of information.

uart said:
So it turns out that the two diodes in this circuit are actually varactors (voltage variables capacitors). Not surprising then that no one could figure out how it was supposed to work without that crucial piece of information.

Sorry, when I read it the first time, I didn't see any diodes mentioned and since I couldn't find the mentioned V2 on the diagram, I thought that the V1 for the other part of the circuit is V2.

Let's see if I understand this correctly, so the varactors are controlled by the voltage source V1, and decides the width of the ouput pulse. But should the diodes be set to some specific value? (this is my first encounter with diodes, and when I simulated with different values fo the diodes, the pulses did not seem to change)? Also, I couldn't seem to get the normal diode to work on ADS, so instead I used a clamp diode, does it have the same function?

Also, now knowing how the circuit works, does the circuit seem correct? And if so, what would be some of the suggested value for the resistors? for example, around what degree of magnitude should the resistance values be? I have tried different combination of resistance values, however I still can't get the right pulse, and throughout all of this, the output from T1 and T2 collector is still a sine wave.

Thanks!

Related to Design a Monoflop: Help Calculating Values from Sine Wave Input

1. What is a monoflop?

A monoflop, also known as a monostable multivibrator, is an electronic circuit that generates a single pulse when triggered by an input signal.

2. How does a monoflop work?

A monoflop has two stable states, one with the output at a low voltage and the other with the output at a high voltage. When triggered by an input signal, the monoflop switches to the opposite state and then returns to its original state after a set period of time.

3. What is the purpose of designing a monoflop?

A monoflop is commonly used in digital circuits for applications such as debouncing switches, pulse stretching, and frequency division.

4. How do I calculate the values needed to design a monoflop?

The values needed to design a monoflop, such as the pulse width and trigger voltage, can be calculated using the formulae provided in most electronics textbooks or online resources. These values depend on factors such as the desired output pulse width and the characteristics of the input signal.

5. Can a monoflop be designed to work with a sine wave input?

Yes, a monoflop can be designed to work with a sine wave input. The values needed for the design will depend on the frequency and amplitude of the sine wave, as well as the desired output pulse characteristics.