1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing High School Lenz's Law Experiment

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    I teach high school physics and I would like to get maximum mileage out of my Lenz's law experiment/demonstration.

I am going to get the students to drop magnets down a long copper tube to calculate the magnetic force using distance, time etc and making a direct calculation using Fnet=...

What I'd also like to be able to do is use this set-up in some way to calculate the magnetic field strength of the magnets.

Can anyone think of a way to achieve this without the addition of a lot of extra equipment?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2
  4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    Thank you. That is a good demonstration.

I am planning to use long copper tunes to show the slowing effect due to the opposing fields and was wondering if I could incorporate this set-up and get to the strength of the magnets through that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook